Options

Took the CISSP exam

EthanpEthanp Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took it on 4/15/2012. The exam was the hardest exam I have ever taken in my life. I have a STRONG feeling that I completely bombed it. Now it has been over 2 weeks, and I am praying heavily everyday that I passed it. My employer requires that I am CISSP certified by the end of the year, so if I fail it, I have to pick up the books again, and start studying again. UGH! The worst part is to get ready for the 6 hour 250 questions again. I am not looking forward to it.
Anybody who plans to take this exam, get ready and rest up as much as possible. If you choose to take the whole 6 hour time frame (I highly suggest it for review), you will get tired and the questions and words will seem to merge towards the end of the exam. Good luck. Because I will need all the luck in the world to pass this exam on the first try. I REALLY hope I did.
Next up: CISSP 3rd time around

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, that's a harsh exam. Here's hoping and praying you get it.
  • Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea, it is harsh, ruthless, and evil test that almost made me offer my first born to Rumplestilskin. I wonder if a test exists out there that I will ever take that will make the CISSP seem as effortless as the Security + exam in comparison.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck to you. As I recall, assuming that you took the "classic" version (i.e paper-based) one of the more excruciating parts of the CISSP is to have to wait for the results.
  • Options
    w77mw77m Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam the same day in NYC. I prepared so hard and had a disastrous night where I couldn't sleep in the hotel, only managed 3-4hrs sleep maximum. I tried to concentrate and but had that strange drowsy feeling when I sat there for 6hrs taking the exam. It was hard and some ridiculous questions and I circled many many questions that I was supposed to come back and review even though i marked a answer in the sheet. some 15-20 questions I left blank to come back to and I manged to come back to those mark a answer but ran out of time to review the circled questions. I absolutely have no idea because of the state of mind with little sleep if I might scrape through?! I had a strange dream that I scored 74.5% the other day...I'd take that lol!
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    paul78 wrote: »
    Good luck to you. As I recall, assuming that you took the "classic" version (i.e paper-based) one of the more excruciating parts of the CISSP is to have to wait for the results.

For those that have taken the CBT version, do you get the results immediately like you do with most CBTs?
  • Options
    vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    For those that have taken the CBT version, do you get the results immediately like you do with most CBTs?
    kalkan999, one of the members here, recently took it over at south america since they seem to be offering it there early and he did say the results are instant so thats a plus. He wrote about his experience in another thread.
  • Options
    TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    vsecgod wrote: »
    kalkan999, one of the members here, recently took it over at south america since they seem to be offering it there early and he did say the results are instant so thats a plus. He wrote about his experience in another thread.

Also he mentioned that the CBT was much more difficult.....
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    good to know. that is a big plus. I can't imagine having to deal with not knowing for weeks. thanks.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I failed this exam the first time I took it because it was the first "not totally technical" certification for me. I did not prepare correctly and getting the technical stuff correct in practice tests boosted my self confidence. The day of the exam I was like "uh...". I also have a huge problem sitting still for that long. If I were to take it "now" rather than when I did after doing auditing work, security auditing, etc. I would have had a much easier time with it since I can "think" the CISSP way if that makes sense.
  • Options
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    Also he mentioned that the CBT was much more difficult.....

But he also passed it, when he didn't pass the written one. I recently took the storage+ beta test and felt like I did really well, but failed. Back when I took Sec+ in 2009, I thought I did horrible, but I aced it. Lesson being, percieved difficulty is not always an accurate measure of the actual difficulty of an exam.
  • Options
    the_hutch wrote: »
    But he also passed it, when he didn't pass the written one. I recently took the storage+ beta test and felt like I did really well, but failed. Back when I took Sec+ in 2009, I thought I did horrible, but I aced it. Lesson being, percieved difficulty is not always an accurate measure of the actual difficulty of an exam.

Exactly. My perception is a subjective one.
  • Options
    kalkan999 wrote: »
    Exactly. My perception is a subjective one.

I'm not going to stress anymore over the CBT than I have been over the CISSP in general. I am already on the verge of ripping my hair out. So it may be naive, but I'm going to pretend...for sanity's sake...that the CBT version is no more difficult.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    kalkan999 wrote: »
    Yea, it is harsh, ruthless, and evil test that almost made me offer my first born to Rumplestilskin. I wonder if a test exists out there that I will ever take that will make the CISSP seem as effortless as the Security + exam in comparison.

Yup! It's called the CCIE. Think of it this way in terms of tests: 70% of people pass the CISSP, about 60% of people pass their med school boards, 48% of lawyers pass the BAR exam on the first shot, but only an average of 26% of people pass the CCIE over the life of the program. I've met guys that work at Cisco that said that it only took 6-7 months to study/pass the CISSP, but it took them 5-7 years to prepare and pass the CCIE. It's CRAZY how difficult that test is and the masochistic side of me hopes that one day I get to the level where I actually want take the CCIE exam.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Yup! It's called the CCIE. Think of it this way in terms of tests: 70% of people pass the CISSP, about 60% of people pass their med school boards, 48% of lawyers pass the BAR exam on the first shot, but only an average of 26% of people pass the CCIE over the life of the program. I've met guys that work at Cisco that said that it only took 6-7 months to study/pass the CISSP, but it took them 5-7 years to prepare and pass the CCIE. It's CRAZY how difficult that test is and the masochistic side of me hopes that one day I get to the level where I actually want take the CCIE exam.

Yea, a friend of mine and colleague who has a PhD in Psychology, PMP, CISSP, ISSEP, CISM, CCNA, CCNP-Security, MCSE, MCSD, CWNA, CMSP, and MANY more, took the test and tanked the CCIE hard.

I do want to point out something about the 70% of CISSP who pass statement: I received clarification on that number which seemed a little high to me, because I know a LOT of people who failed this test. That 70% statement can be and is often misinterpreted as '70% of First-Time CISSP test takers pass the test.' If that were true, I know a lot of people who would be disheartened when they fail in their first go-around. My source came from someone who is VERY closely associated with the head-honcho's at ISC2. 70% of people who attempt to get the certification pass, but NOT on their first attempt. The first-time pass percentage is a very closely guarded secret with ISC2, and I do not know the answer, but I have been assured that the number is below the 50% mark. My source can be trusted. I do not live far from ISC2 headquarters in Palm Harbor, FL.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    That's an interesting statistic. I had read a 70% pass rate for the CISSP in some documentation at work, but wasn't sure if that was first time pass rate or not. I think believing the first time pass rate was 70% actually helped build my confidence going into the exam.
  • Options
    EthanpEthanp Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well....I finally received my results, and I failed it. I can scream and get beyond frustrated all I want, but it wont change the fact I failed the exam. I have gone through the grieving period, and now I am looking at it differently. I am going to try Shon Harris AIO. Most of the people I have talked to who have failed 1st time around, tried Shon Harris, and passed 2nd time. I swapped my ISC² CBK for Shon Harris AIO 5th edition. Everyone has told me that it is very different. I am going to try it out, and if I do not like it then I will go back to ISC² CBK with the CISSP for Dummies. What does everyone think?
    Next up: CISSP 3rd time around
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Commiserations Ethan. You'll get it the next time round.
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that, good luck to you on the next attempt! I'm sure you will pass.

PS: The AIO is definitely a lot less dry than the ISC² CBK
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ethanp wrote: »
    Well....I finally received my results, and I failed it. I can scream and get beyond frustrated all I want, but it wont change the fact I failed the exam. I have gone through the grieving period, and now I am looking at it differently. I am going to try Shon Harris AIO. Most of the people I have talked to who have failed 1st time around, tried Shon Harris, and passed 2nd time. I swapped my ISC² CBK for Shon Harris AIO 5th edition. Everyone has told me that it is very different. I am going to try it out, and if I do not like it then I will go back to ISC² CBK with the CISSP for Dummies. What does everyone think?

I can vouch for the Shon Harris AIO. I studied with this book for 6+ months and passed first time. I especially like her approach to presenting the material. She does a great job of keeping the material from become too dry. At the same time, she really breaks things down for you. I highly recommend it as the primary source of study for CISSP.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Better luck next go around... you're much more likely to pass on the second attempt. No shame in not passing the first time. And remember, "It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward ... That's how winning is done!"
  • Options
    TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    Ethanp wrote: »

I would use Shon as a primary and Eric Conrad as a secondary source.
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    parvezahmad83parvezahmad83 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I am using AIO 5 for studyicon_study.gif....But I want to familiar with the pattern/Nature of the questions(CISSP).icon_confused.gif:

Which of the best way to do the same?

Friends please suggest.
  • Options
    willia08willia08 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Folks, this happens to be the worse personal experience in my work life attempting to take this horrible standardized test. I've taken other tests like SAT, ITIL, sec+ and other types of tests successfully. I have to say this test questions are so far from the various research questions and reading materials on CBT. CCC Cure has a nice site to help with the basics but the questions on the actual exam are so different and most questions have two very close answers all the time so choosing the best answer apparently does not work. I've taken it 3 times, paper and CBT and the story never changes. My test results range from 650 to 689.
    I've given up ISC2 you win.
  • Options
    warmkittywarmkitty Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems to be you have dragged and taged to old post. But as of I beleiving, you might be doing something wrong with the exam. my first request is to dont giveup. I have seen people passed the exam in 4th time, 5th time etc. You have gone so far where you cant giveup. Just try to find where you doing wrong.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This test is in great part about deconstructing questions and thinking like ISC2 wants you to think.

I am curious about your background, experience, and study techniques.
  • Options
    willia08willia08 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've taken a boot camp a few years back and I've had several study materials including PASSPORT for CISSP, Shon Harris CISSP Bible, Code book , and a host of other CISSP reading materials. I understand trying to think like ISC2, does make sense, but how do you make sense out of non sense??? i pass ok using the book tests, and other simple tests that I've taken to bone up. Anyway in no place do you see the construct of sample test questions anywhere even come close to the real test structures. And again, I am referring to the question setup.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not one to push product by any means, but I found the Kaplan IT Self Test Software to be highly beneficial. After going through every practice question (yes, every question) and following up on the ones I got wrong, I felt very well prepared and confident going into the CISSP (along with having used the Shon Harris AIO and the Conrad 11th Hour CISSP). At $600 a pop and up to 6 hours of your life spent testing, it was worth the money I spent to invest in the Self Test Software material. And to be clear, it is NOT a Brain **** program.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Is there anyway you can attend the review seminar? The included handbook is bar none the best compression of exam topics available.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    willia08 wrote: »
    Folks, this happens to be the worse personal experience in my work life attempting to take this horrible standardized test. I've taken other tests like SAT, ITIL, sec+ and other types of tests successfully. I have to say this test questions are so far from the various research questions and reading materials on CBT. CCC Cure has a nice site to help with the basics but the questions on the actual exam are so different and most questions have two very close answers all the time so choosing the best answer apparently does not work. I've taken it 3 times, paper and CBT and the story never changes. My test results range from 650 to 689.
    I've given up ISC2 you win.

For what reason do you want CISSP certification?

In the DoD world there are other certifications that meet various job requirements. CISSP overlaps into many different compliance levels of DoD 8570 requirements, but it's not the only game.

DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program

ie. As an Information Security Manager, I need IAM Level III and next to CISSP, the GIAC GSLC is recognized to meet all of the requirements of IAM Levels I thru III - And it's open book!

I took the CISSP four years ago and missed it by 12 points. My head was spinning and it was not an overall enjoyable experience.

The GSLC was not a walk in the park, but the questions are more straight forward and practice tests ran parallel with the actual exam.

If you're pursuing certs for a DoD job, take a look at the link above. You can pick the CISSP alternative that best suits your study style and meets what you need to achieve.

As for me, I'm on a roll with certs. I got Security+ last month that helped re-inforce my knowledge and I got the GSLC last week with a nice score. I'm taking a break for a couple weeks and plan to spend two weeks studying for the CISSP and tackling it near the end of February.

I plan to read Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide and a friend gave me his 11th Hour CISSP book that he used to pass the exam. I might skim some of my older CISSP materials which include an older Shon Harris book.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    5ekurity wrote: »
    I'm not one to push product by any means, but I found the Kaplan IT Self Test Software to be highly beneficial. After going through every practice question (yes, every question) and following up on the ones I got wrong, I felt very well prepared and confident going into the CISSP (along with having used the Shon Harris AIO and the Conrad 11th Hour CISSP). At $600 a pop and up to 6 hours of your life spent testing, it was worth the money I spent to invest in the Self Test Software material. And to be clear, it is NOT a Brain **** program.

Feel no shame in pushing product! I think we're all here to see what works in learning more efficiently.