Options

Passed 70-680 Today.

Sledge.Sledge. Member Posts: 109
50 questions.

Materials used:
Don Poulton MCTS book (worth it's weight in gold).
Poulton book comes with a test engine on the accompanying CD - also quite useful.
Professor Messer's Videos.
Windows 7 Free Training videos were also useful.
Technet.
Labs, labs, and more labs.

Studied for about 3 weeks straight.

Good luck to all taking the exam.
WGU Alum - BS:IT Security
Active Certs: CCNA:Security, CompTia x 3 (Security+, Project+, A+), MCTS (70-680), CCENT, CCNA: Routing & Switching, CIW x 3 (Javascript, Database, Web Design)

Comments

• Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass ( lucky you for the 50 Questions )
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, you have done very well for just three weeks study, your WGU progress is also very impressive. I was going to buy the Don Poulton book for the 70-640, I still might get it if you say his is a good author for MS certs.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :)
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
  • Options
    Sledge.Sledge. Member Posts: 109
    quinnyfly wrote: »
    Congrats, you have done very well for just three weeks study, your WGU progress is also very impressive. I was going to buy the Don Poulton book for the 70-640, I still might get it if you say his is a good author for MS certs.
    Thanks Quinnyfly:

Overall, I've worked in IT since 1998, so that has helped a tremendous amount regarding my studies at WGU. As to the three weeks study, I am strictly a full time student at the moment, so we are talking pretty much all day, every day for three weeks, since I had heard so many reports about this particular exam being as difficult as it is. I was a bit intimidated by the thought of an 80 question MS exam, so my goal was to over-study and be prepared for anything they threw at me.

If you are looking for good study material for the 70-640, I can definitely vouch for Poulton's 70-680 book, so I would imagine his 640 would be equally as effective as a study tool. I have not personally used his 70-640 book, so I cannot vouch for it with 100% certainty, but I cannot imagine why it would not be every bit as good as his 70-680 material.

As to getting 50 questions on the exam, it seemed as though even as recently as two to three weeks ago that 80 questions was going to be the 'new norm', but I have spoken to a few other students who have taken the 70-680 in the last two weeks that have been getting 50 question exams, so it seems that it is really the luck of the draw (for the moment, anyway).

As to the WGU progress: I enrolled in October of 2011. Immediately afterwards, a close family member had some very serious health issues, so I didn't really get going until late Nov of 2011. I didn't do one assignment that whole time, with the exception of EWB. That was it.

Once I got moving though, I had such a fire going inside that I was determined to finish in as little time as I possibly could, given my situation and schedule. I hit 44 credit hours my first semester (even with the 8 week setback), and I plan on 32 for this semester. 32 more in the third semester, and I will be finished with my BS:IT - Security degree.

I cannot say enough great things about WGU, and my mentor. I won't say her name here, but her initials are A.P., and I love working with her. She has helped me get to where I am today, due to recognizing that through my roughly 15 years of IT experience, that she and I can accurately judge whether I am able to complete a test/eval/task/course within a given time frame.

Good luck to all, and study as hard as you can - it really does pay off.

Best Regards,

Sledge
    WGU Alum - BS:IT Security
    Active Certs: CCNA:Security, CompTia x 3 (Security+, Project+, A+), MCTS (70-680), CCENT, CCNA: Routing & Switching, CIW x 3 (Javascript, Database, Web Design)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great job

This is a very interesting MS certification
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63