Options

Business iPhone Replacement?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So we know at some point we'll get rid of the Blackberries for our reps and it will be iPhone time. Anyone have experience with Verizon and replacing devices that break? Currently we have about a day turn around time for broken Blackberries, just wondering what it would be for iPhones.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I think that is going to really depend on how Windows 8 works out for mobile devices. But I agree with you that Blackberry's time has come and gone.

I think a lot of companies will be hesitant to make the move because of security. Not that BBs don't have their own share of vulnerabilities. But the increased capabilities of a device like the iphone drastically increases attack surface.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows 8 is a questionable figure in the cellphone market. It's speculated about how good it will be. Android has different OS flavors & hardware, and not all of them are good combos.

I'd ask for insurance for the phones. Mandoratory Otter Boxes also would help with everyday accidents. I've used their cases because they work... My 3GS has a car run over it, in the winter on a highway. [Running from gas station to work, it fell out, light turned green, and car ran over it]. While probably an extreme case, I have my doubt that the iPhone would've survived by itself..
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I think a lot of companies will be hesitant to make the move because of security. Not that BBs don't have their own share of vulnerabilities. But the increased capabilities of a device like the iphone drastically increases attack surface.

Many major corporations have already made the move! I <3 my company-issue iPhone. :)
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm sure that would be an arrangement that the company could work out with Verizon or whomever the provider is. If the numbers are right, sales can make anything happen :)

As another poster said, mandatory Otterboxes. My wife has one and she has dropped her phone a few times, the case broke but the phone was fine (and Otterbox replaced the case).

If I were the head of IT/phone procurement, I would map out a very clear and detailed terms of use on what features would and would not be enabled on the phones. This can be easily determined by meeting with managers on what features would and would not be needed. Senior management would have the ultimate say. Then I would have training sessions with the users to go over the terms of use, as well as any other requirements (Otterbox must remain on the phone at all times, etc). Users would also be informed that phone management (iOS updates, turning features on/off) would be controlled by IT. If "unacceptable" software is found, that software is wiped.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All about the Iphone4S best phone I have ever owned, Android is ballbags lol
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Windows 8 phone hype is funny.....because the same hype existed for Windows 7 phones. And where are they now? Less than 4% of the market. I wouldn't even consider it a factor. It's either Apple or Android for a while.

As far as iPhone replacement, are you talking insurance? Horrible waste of money. Anything I order from VZW comes in 1-2 days.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My shop uses Android phones (Thunderbolt). I actually refused one, for a variety of reasons and stuck with just getting my own, but I know they went that route. But I know a lot of shops are going Android as well.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Ally_Uk

I'm with you on the iPhone4S. It's a tremendous phone and I can never see myself using another. Unless of course it's a newer version.