Options

Can you add 2008 Administrave templates to a 2003 Domain Controller?

higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
Is it possible to add 2008 admx files to a 2003 domain controller so that group policy will also affect those servers and those settings that are only particular to 2008?

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

Yes. My dc's are split half and half and I use .admx files for about 20 group policies.

Scenario 2: Editing Domain-Based GPOs Using ADMX Files
  • Options

Thanks! Yea I have two 2003 DC's and the rest are 2008 servers, I just wanted to use gPO's to harden the 2008 member servers but the 2003 DC only has certain policies to edit were the local admx files on the 2008 boxes have a lot more.

I could solve this issue by bringing up two 2008R2 DC 's but I cant because of PKI issues atm.
  • Options
    Phoeneous,

I copied all my 2008R2 admx files over to my 2003 DC. When I create a new GPO using one of my administrative servers I see that the Administrative templates policy definitions are pulling from the central store. Prior to this, it was stating that the files were pulling from the local store. Does this mean that its pulling those definitions from the 2003 DC? I'm under the impression that it is, just wanted to make sure.

EDIT

Policies are now getting applied via Domain based GPOS :) Got a little extra life out of this 2003DC.