Options

What's your Plan for you Digital Life if you Die?

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Over 30 Million Accounts on Facebook Belong to Dead People - Technorati Technology

Have any of you written into your will or at least formulated a plan with your spouse about what to do with you digital "stuff" should you pass on unexpectedly?

Comments

• Options
    I think once you have children it changes things a little. I would almost want mine to simply be deleted. But I think about how if I were a child whose father passed away at a young age it would be nice to have something like my dad's FB timeline to go back a reconnect with him as a person. To see what he was thinking on such and such day or the things that made him laugh.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had to get my wife and I on the same page because we had online payment accounts for different accounts registered to one or the other. We made sure to share passwords for car payment accounts, power, water, etc. I switched her to gmail because when she was using one that was tied to our ISP she would lose it if we switched. We made sure to put each other's email addresses as backup email addresses for accounts also.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Luckily no significant other to worry about and enough life insurance to cover all the bills. At some point I will get the passwords to my bank account to my sister, everything else can just go by the wayside.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is not something I have given a lot of thought to, but I need to get around to having everything written down for my family.

I don't use Facebook, but I do have a lot of very important information in my e-mail that I want my wife to have access to. Also, passwords for online accounts, etc. She doesn't typically deal with this stuff, but if I died she will need them. Crazy that we have to think about these kind of things today.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    We made sure to put each other's email addresses as backup email addresses for accounts also.

That's a great idea. I really need to do the same.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im getting a usb drive that has encryption and im going to type it in a rtf file

that way i can change it as needed and it will be secured
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One idea I had was to get three friends/family members who don't know each other and have them meet up to put together a puzzle that would then have all of my passwords, etc., to my accounts known to family. The central location for them to meet would be at the lawyer's office. The list to the passwords would be encrypted, but someone else would have the accounts, and then someone else would have the order of the accounts and passwords. The lawyer would have the password to unencrypt all of the lists.

I figure it'd be pretty safe to do that, and plus it would be fun as heck....almost like a movie.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I figure it'd be pretty safe to do that, and plus it would be fun as heck....almost like a movie.

Unless one of them dies, then everyone is in trouble... lol
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unless one of them dies, then everyone is in trouble... lol

LOL good point. I haven't executed this yet..in fact I haven't even written a will yet, but that is something I have to do. Especially when I am worth more dead than alive... lol.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    One idea I had was to get three friends/family members who don't know each other and have them meet up to put together a puzzle that would then have all of my passwords, etc., to my accounts known to family. The central location for them to meet would be at the lawyer's office. The list to the passwords would be encrypted, but someone else would have the accounts, and then someone else would have the order of the accounts and passwords. The lawyer would have the password to unencrypt all of the lists.

Love it! Just nice to make people work a bit after I die lol
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    im getting a usb drive that has encryption and im going to type it in a rtf file

that way i can change it as needed and it will be secured

There are cloud-based password management systems that allow you to issue one-time shared passwords to people to allow them to access things. These can be leveraged for situations like this. a USB stick can be lost or damaged.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Even in death, no one will ever know my passwords. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wife has access to all my FB and email accounts if she wants them (ie she knows my Social media passwords so can log in if she so needs to)

Sorry to say but sites such as this I would most likely just disappear from with out any notice.

I would like to have part of my will state that in the event of both myself and my wife passing away, and if my daughter is not able to, that our social media sites get updated to reflect it. But nothing I have on line is needed after I go, all just social stuff, if it gets lost then so be it.

There is a question around things like music you have purchased on-line, most licence agreement mean you are not able to pass it on to family or friends which to me is wrong.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.