Options

Anyone still going for 70-649

jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Looking to knock out this exam in 1-1.5 months. I have MCSE:NT4, 2000 and 2003 and over 10 years of Sr. Systems Admin/IT Manager experience. I am currently reading MS press and labbing up for practice. I will be using technet near the end of my studies. The MS Press book I am using has non R2 material in it, so I will need to be careful and explore differences between the book and R2.

When I wrote the 292 exam, I missed by 1 or 2 questions twice and decided to do the full path. It would be a lot easier if I passed this upgrade exam this time and then knocked out 70-647.

Has anyone written this exam recently? Has is undergone a rewrite like the other exams recently?

Regards,

James
Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure

Comments

• Options
    BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Was thinking of doing this one… But now that the private cloud MCSE has been announced, I may just do the 648 – I can handle cramming for 2-in-1 exams, not sure about a 3-in-1 though.
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    James, I'm studying for the 70-649 exam now. I was going to get the MSPress book but after reading all of the bad reviews (mainly because it does not include R2 material) decided to go with the Sybex (640, 642, 643) R2 in one book - since that covers what is on the 70-649. I've got a lot of chapters to read ahead of me though, so it's going to take a couple of months minimum. After that I will most likely start taking the Transcenders for the exam. What study materials are you using, or planning on using?
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    I was using the 70-649 MS Press book but may go down your path and take the Sybex route. Sybex books would be a refreshing change as I have used MS Press since the Windows 2000 track. This way I wouldn't be reading any old material with MS Press. I may be taking my VCP exams first. I use TestOut for my exam prep as it is the same quality, less cost than Transcender and Kaplan is the same company that owns Transcender.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • Options
    After much deliberation, I have decided to not do the 649 exam and do them individually. I don't want to have one large blob of material in my head for 3 months. I am going to break it down into smaller chunks and knock out the exams hopefully every 6-8 weeks.