Options

Kindle books for ROUTE

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone use the kindle format for their studies? I've always used physical books. I just got a kindle and have read several smaller business books on it and like it.
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The consensus here in the past was that Kindle is great *IF* you had the full size Kindle DX or The Ipad. Some of the graphics just don't display well on the smaller tablets.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have the fire. I also used kindle for PC. I think I will get the physical book. Old habits are hard to break.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    I have the Kindle App on a 10 inch Android tablet, and I love it. I had the Kindle DX, and just couldn't deal with the hassle of carrying around something that I could not watch videos on, could not zoom on, and could not (really) play music on.

The Kindle App on a touch screen device allows resizing/zooming of graphics in technical documents, and for my money, has been much better to study from than my Kindle DX. Combine that with the fact that I can load mpg files from my CBTNuggets cbts, and it is all around the perfect device for studying technical topics.

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i am using an asus tablet for the tech docs

way better than using the physical books
    specially the ROUTE book is extremely unhandy if you are traveling ...

using a kindle also works fine, got my dad one for christmas and abused it with my cisco books last december.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use the Asus Transformer with the kindle app and Aldiko for PDFs/ePubs. I generally like it. Only downside is occasionally electronic versions aren't copied properly from the print source IE missing diagrams. I can't see ever going back to print books.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    on my transformer i use the ezPDF reader

its fast and has some nice functions
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did my whole CCNP on a normal Kindle. I would recommend it to anyone with below average or better eyesight. The books are cheaper, your whole technical library and a notebook are always with you, you can read one-handed, they don't weight nearly so much as a textbook. To make the diagrams bigger, double-tap on them so they fill the screen and/or turn your Kindle sideways.

I'm happy to break old habits when it helps me outdo the competition.
  • Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED

"Normal" Kindle, or a Kindle Fire? I didn't think a normal Kindle had the ability to do a tap zoom?

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    paagepaage Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought the FLG for Route in Kindle format (have a normal Kindle) and from my experience it's sometimes annoying if you quickly want to switch back and forth a few pages to check out a network diagram. The pros are ofcourse that you can take it anywhere together with more lecture.
  • Options
    narresh64narresh64 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using the Kindle Fire to do all my studies, I bought the CWTS from Amazon, it is soooo much convenient than hard copy books
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pogue wrote: »
    "Normal" Kindle, or a Kindle Fire? I didn't think a normal Kindle had the ability to do a tap zoom?

Russ

A normal $79 Kindle. It sure does support tap-zoom! I won't read through technical or other long texts with the Kindle Fire, since it lacks e-Ink. Can't beat the Fire for full-color magazines, though.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I have the fire and purchased the FLG and the cert guide for ROUTE, read them both on it...love that thing
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    I just got the physical book and now I wish I got the kindle edition. Wow that book is heavy to carry around.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    The ROUTE OCG is the CiscoPress eBook deal of the week for $9.99 until Sunday.

$9.99 eBook Deal of the Week

You can download it in PDF or EPUB format.

If you download it in EPUB, you can use Calibre to convert it to Kindle format and transfer it to your Kindle. It will then work just like a Kindle book.

You can move the PDF directly to the Kindle, but it doesn't work like a Kindle book. (i.e. it doesn't adjust to the screen size, let you change font size, or remember your page number, etc)
  • Options
    Thanks. I've heard mixed reviews on this book but for 10 bucks it doesn't hurt to have another referance.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read kindle, other ebooks formats, and pdf on my blackberry playbook. All converted on calibre its good cant complain. Makes sitting back reading smooth.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read Kindle books on my PC(much faster than Kindle Fire,Blackberry or anything like that) and have CCNP labs on there. Is very useful when doing the labs on GNS3
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.