Options

Bachelor of Science (BS) in Information Technology/ Capella University

geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
Cisco Network Technology IT Bachelors Degree - Capella University

Im considering obtaining an online IT degree in networks. I want to get into the cisco field and go from there. However i feel i would be wasting my time with Capella, however school is what you make of it. I would like some of you guys to chime in and tell me should i look else where or would this be a good idea.

Above is a link of the course description
Currently Studying for Network+, Server+, and Security+

The computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before

Comments

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    They are very expensive (a for-profit school), but have a decent name in the industry (but not in things like academia).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    I also had Devry and University of Phoenix in mind

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Oh boy......who wants to tackle this one? ;)

I see in the past you failed the WGU assessment and considered the military. What has happened since November?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Nothing at all got discouraged with everything and just said "Forget it"

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    After reading some of your previous posts... I can't really say this politely so... STOP BEING LAZY AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    CEHwanabeCEHwanabe Banned Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    God no, dont do it, there are better schools out there B&M schools with online option.. Capella is almost like Phoenix with garbage reputation

Cisco Network Technology IT Bachelors Degree - Capella University

Im considering obtaining an online IT degree in networks. I want to get into the cisco field and go from there. However i feel i would be wasting my time with Capella, however school is what you make of it. I would like some of you guys to chime in and tell me should i look else where or would this be a good idea.

Above is a link of the course description
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CEHwanabe wrote: »
    God no, dont do it, there are better schools out there B&M schools with online option.. Capella is almost like Phoenix with garbage reputation

My issue with Capella isn't so much quality, but rather two things:

1) Their for-profit status.

2) Their tuition.

If I'm going to pay that ridiculous tution they are asking for, I would rather deal with a B&M option. If their tution was more in-line with reality, then it'd be a different story. But I believe they charge that ridiculous amount of tution so that they can get a bunch of folks going there using federal loans (ala University of Phoenix.) This ties into the fact that they are a for-profit institution, which means ultimately, it is the shareholders' and NOT THE STUDENTS' interests that are put above all else. Which is why I've always advocated going to a non-profit and/or state B&M institution (a school can be private and non-profit.)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

Take the schools that you're considering and write them down on a piece of paper. Now cross out the choices that are for-profit schools. Now you have a real list of schools to consider. You're welcome :)

Kidding aside, if you pick any of those for-profit schools, you're going to get out with a HUGE amount of debt that you may not be able to find adequate employment for to pay back. Most employers will not give a degree from Devry/Phoenix/etc a lot of weight since their curriculum has a bad rap and rightly so in some cases. I saw an example of this the other day when I went out for a OS reintall and the customer was an ITT Tech graduate in networking but he couldn't figure out how to reformat the computer and he ended up begging me (no joke!) to set up his email in Windows Live Mail. I'm not saying that everyone that gets out of those schools are idiots but a lot of those systems are set up so anyone with a pulse and willing to spend money can get the degree without learning the material. BTW, said ITT Tech graduate is working in the deli section of Albertsons while struggling to pay off his 40K worth of school debt, but he happily has his degree hanging in a frame above his desk at home.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    There are some Capella and UoP grads here. The school has a bad name because they charge a lot of money and at the same time "these guys without any experience thought that they will have a better job or a high paying job as soon as they graduate". Wrong!

Reality is in IT, it doesnt matter if you grad from WGU (popular since its the cheapest), Capella, Devry, or ITT. Its NOT about the school. Its about you. How bad do you want to become successful? Are you willing to work hard? Can you be aggressive when looking for a job? Do you have a great network? How many certs have you knocked out?

An example: A friend of mine graduate from CSUN with BS in IT. He is a desktop support guys for 5 years now.
    Another example: Friend B has a BS in Comp sci and Masters Degree in Computer Engineering in UC irvine. He is a helpdesk for a biomedical company for 4 years now. The point here is not everybody that went to a great school will become successful. However, going to a big shot school is a great leverage in the hiring process.

Although, I can give you a list of UoP, Capella, ITT grads that are very successful in the IT world.

Now, is UoP and Capella worth it? This will all go down to the expense. Again, WGU is the cheapest.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Yeah, you can find better schools that offer the same degree. There is a good website forum out there if you google (degreeinfo) you'll find students and prospects discussing school reps etc. I'm happy thus far with the decision I made and would have probably went to Drexel University except for the high tuition. Its a tough decision, which took me quite awhile to decide on the right school. Look around, compare the programs and listen to the input of others students to make the right decision.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you checked into community college options as a start?
  • Options
    Yes i have,
    however for the community college in my area 1 class may be at the main campus and then another class is 30-40 mins her. they don't have all the required classes at one campus. However I'm thinking about applying for WGU again

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Success doesn't come easy my friend. What's a thirty to forty minute drive if it helps you jump start your career?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,042 Admin
    You can find bad stuff and great stuff written about any school. I'm a Capella grad, and I had a mostly good experience there, and I would do it and the Sallie Mae all over again. However, I know people that royally screwed up there and didn't do well by themselves or the money they spent. To talk with them you'd think Capella was the worst place ever, but that's just emotional finger-pointing blame. There always more than one side to every story.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are schools that you have to be wary of due to the rep (deserved or not). One apple tends to spoil the bunch and like others have said, a lot of B&M schools are offering their programs online (or through weekend courses as well). One aspect I think you will find interesting is that most for-profit schools aren't doing a lot in the research side of things. Nice to have professor who are on the bleeding edge of their respective fields...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Community college would seem to be the best route. If you failed the admission exam for WGU then you might need the lower level math/english courses before you can move on to a self study type school. You can always take the A+, Net+ and MTA's on your own dime to get them done with. The transfer to WGU.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    Community college would seem to be the best route. If you failed the admission exam for WGU then you might need the lower level math/english courses before you can move on to a self study type school. You can always take the A+, Net+ and MTA's on your own dime to get them done with. The transfer to WGU.

Yes sir I've bee studying for the A+, Net+ and Server+ for a while just never took initiative to take the test. However its starting to hit me that if i don't do something soon the next few years will be just like the ones I'm experiencing now.

• Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Besides the name and abouts of the Institution itself, you should check the degree thoroughly and the courses.
    Decide if thats what you want.

For example when I decided I wanted to do a MS I checked many universities across the US.
    Uni A - Offered a MS in networking, focused in a bit more management things, a lot of reports, of course they had technical courses. Many CCNP level courses.
    Uni B - Offered a MS in Networking, focused a bit more in the technical/engineering area. For example Layer 1 and 2 courses that focused heavily in the neaty and gritty/raw aspects of these layers. Signaling ecuations, error rates, round trips, propagation, oscilloscope, why is the root bridge chosen and the math behind that etc
    I went with B, since Im more interested in the technical aspect rather than the management one (at least in this point of my career).

You need to evaluate every course in the degree criteria! You dont want to be one of those guys saying, "I wish my degree had more of this or that" or that it isnt worth what you paid for.
    meh