Options

How do I get into Cisco Sales?

zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
Hey guys and gals. I am currently in school for networking and am taking my final course in the Cisco academy. I am planning on going for my CCNA in July, and I think I have a pretty good chance to pass the composite exam. I come from a background in commissioned sales and I really enjoy it. I am also concurrently working on my bachelors in Business Management with a focus on project management. I think after I graduate from both of my programs I would like to get into B2B sales for Cisco. I take it I would probably have to at least get my CCNA design cert, but what else should I try to do to get into this field? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    A background/degree in sales and marketing in the technology area is going to be most helpful. If Cisco hires you then you will get all the technical training you will need. They have sales engineers that hit the really technical stuff.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tons of Cisco VARs out there, if you have sales exp. and a CCNA I bet you have a good chance of getting with one. I hope to start my own VAR one day or at least an consulting firm
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    As others pointed out, being technical is not as important as being a good sales person. I've known people selling technical products that couldn't type google into their own browser but knew how to talk to people. The sales engineers are there to handle the tech piece.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Sounds good guys, thanks for the info. I know I already know how to sell, I did it very successfully for many years. I did find some info from Cisco if anyone else is looking into this. It seems like they want to you to have and bachelor's degree, but prefer business or marketing, and the program is called CSAP, Cisco Sales Associate Program. From my understanding, it looks like it is a cohort that opens up around once a year for various regions.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck if that's what you decide to pursue. Great money in sales, but I've also never met a sales guy that wasn't super stressed all the time!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cisco or Microsoft sales would be outstanding. I honestly would consider tossing away the tech side of things to get a piece of the sales action. It's exciting and fun.