Options

CCIE, here we go?!?!

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Bought the lab books last night, spent some time cabling it up per the workbook and uploaded, now to start on the first section of volume I!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Here is what was recommend to me for Volume 1... go through the exercises and see how you fare. Use the ATC videos to reinforce knowledge where required and make sure to read the solutions at the back of the pdf for explanations on why the answers may be correct and any possible alternate solution. One you are done with all 14 chapters, take Mock lab 1 to evaluate how ready you are for the real thing.

As I said earlier get in the habit of verifying EVERYTHING now and use notepad so that both of these become second nature.

You will have your 5 digit number in no time!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Bought the lab books last night, spent some time cabling it up per the workbook and uploaded, now to start on the first section of volume I!
    Can't remember if we discussed this in your thread previously, so forgive me if it's already been done.

The recommended "post-Written" INE training program.
    How to pass the CCIE R&S with INE's 4.0 Training Program

I started on this BEFORE I had the written though. If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd add a few steps to their "Practicing Fundamentals" phase.

In Security, I'd add 11.1-19, 39-41.
    In System Mgmt, I'd add 12.15-21, 23-24, 37-41
    In IP Services, I'd add 13.18-32, 41-48.

I understand why they move any QoS training until later on since it's such a big subject, but you're going to see tons of it in the Vol 2 labs and you'll need to know the absolute basics for the Written also. If you're looking to do some QoS labbing before you start on full-scale labs, I think 10.20-26, 32-54 are good as well. It may seem like a lot of tasks, but a lot of them are one or two liners that build on the previous task. Once you repeat through those 3-4 times, you'll have a much easier time of it in the Vol 2 labs. Of course, you have your CCIP, so you may not need that at all. I don't know how the QoS exam compares to what you need to know for CCIE.

You'll be a lot better prepared when you start on the VOL 2 labs, and it also covers things you can expect to see on the Written.
    A pattern of "whatever book you're reading" + relevant ATC videos + relevant Vol I labs is fantastic preparation for the Written and beyond.
    Make sure you do the OER stuff in Vol 1 before you take the Written. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Actually I haventafter passed the written yet. My new position doesn't cover exams till the after 90 days I think. Going Vol I it doesn't seem too bad so far just basic configuration pretty but I still got a ways to go.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well, I've come to two conclusions

1. When my whole rack is powered on, it warms the room up real quick.
    2. I need a console server moving the console cable between the devices gets very tedious and tiring.

All in all though, Vol I is shaping up to be a nice review. Still going through the Ethernet section, I'm just taking my time. I remember the concepts but I've forgotten some layer 2 commands, I guess that comes from dealing with soley layer 3 topologies for over a year straight.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Yes, the rack warmth is wonderful in the winter time. I can't believe you got all the way through CCNP/IP without a console server!!! Have you been doing straight GNS3 up to this point?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Yea I really relied on the GNS3 up until around 8-10 months. Pretty much after I got CCIP I started building my lab, but until now I've only labbed up small networks for work or for my blog. I also had decent lab at the office I used very often.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Workbook I really seems like a refresher, a good amount of configuration of almost every top from basic stuff to PfR. Per a few recommendations I'm taking my time verifing every lab, and debugging.

Hoping Workbook II gets a more advanced icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Getting a good amount of labbing done this weekend. Of course I did a little derailed troubleshooting my own cabling for a little while lol, that's what I get for not paying attention to the frame relay cloud.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Workbook I really seems like a refresher, a good amount of configuration of almost every top from basic stuff to PfR. Per a few recommendations I'm taking my time verifing every lab, and debugging.

Hoping Workbook II gets a more advanced icon_smile.gif

Don't worry, it will. Wait until lab 11 in WBII. It is quite a challenge.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Been a while since I updated this thread but I'm still moving along. I actually wake up a little earlier nowadays so I can fit in a good 45-60 mins of labbing before I go into work. I figure an extra few hours a week will add up in the end.

However this week I'll be in an F5 class till Thursday so I might have to put my IE:Studies on hold till get through the class. It's the LTM class. Is there any market for an F5 certification? I assuming there is one but I just haven't seen it mentioned in too many places.

Also picked up the All Access Pass from INE some time ago. I gotta say I wish I got that sooner! I've actually been going through the NP: Security stuff. Just so I can get more familiar with ASA and IPS... I've got a decent of security hardware under my control in diff types of setups A/A, A/S, VPN Cluster, etc. The NP: Sec track doesn't look too intimidating either (especially not what I have from others here) so I might derail a little tackle the NP: Sec. While still labbing for the IE. Tackling the IE is great but I want to make sure I don't fall behind or lack knowledge for my actual job.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Didn't MROCK take the INE CCNP Security class? I want to say his feedback wasn't positive. CBT Nuggets also has the CCNP Security. It would be interesting to see which is better. I'm trying to get my job to pay for the INE 10-day bootcamp, which would give me the INE all access for 10 days and a lab exam voucher (I'd prefer the voucher to the iPad mini).
  • Options
    From what I can tell they don't have a true recording or class for VPN 2.0 642-648 or IPS 642-647, they have a few videos within their NP: Security class but not a whole recording like they do for FIREWALL and SECURE (17+hours of videos for each)

I'll be finishing the FIREWALL videos tonight and I'll be honest I am not really impressed either. It's ok, but not as good as their other videos in my opinion. I've been reading the FIREWALL OCG after each video so supplement the material.

There are still a couple features I haven't configured yet in production on ASAs.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    That F5 class I went was pretty helpful with getting familiar with the devices, none of the topics were overly complex. Deep down its running a version of *Nix so the old linux commands and TCPDump stuff I know doesn't have to go to waste. My director wants to see me get the F5 cert since I went to the class but, we'll see. F5's are cool but...
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Hey I hot 1000 posts and didn't even realize it!
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    That F5 class I went was pretty helpful with getting familiar with the devices, none of the topics were overly complex. Deep down its running a version of *Nix so the old linux commands and TCPDump stuff I know doesn't have to go to waste. My director wants to see me get the F5 cert since I went to the class but, we'll see. F5's are cool but...
    We just bought a pair of Citrix Netscalers. Before I took the training class, I was really motivated to learn about it and I felt like it'd be nice to have on the resume. After having done the training and tried putting them in production, no thanks. Someone else can handle that layer 7 crap. I don't want to be writing rules about header rewrites and stuff. Boring.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Yea F5's have something similar to that called iRules it's a nifty little feature that opens an entire world of possibilities. Granted it's pretty tedious.

It's a nice Ace to have in your pocket though for those just in-case scenario's.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Gotta admit I've gotten slightly delayed this last week. Had a couple Nexus' arrive for some data center migrations, so I've been doing a bit research on Nexus lately. So far I am pretty impressed with Nexus line and NX-OS.

I've certainly took my sweet time through WBI, but if I keep my current pace I want to start WBII in the next 2 weeks. Around the time I wrap of these Nexus deployments.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    I spent some review time going over a few rough areas in WBI before going to WBII. Many of the labs are fun and a few will have your head hurting by the end!
  • Options
    Yep, it's been a while since I updated this thread. I'm still studying, working through WB II. I'm taking my time through the labs surprising. I am happy to say I can decipher what they want to do fairly quickly, however I am spending some extra time verifying it and doing what I have to do to not issue a sh run and instead use the more specific command I need to see what I need more quickly.

I make a note of any subjects that stump me or I struggle with and go back to WB I and tackle that subject again. Might be a very time consuming way to through it but hopefully it pays off.

I'll have a better update tomorrow.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    mhonskymhonsky Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you finish first WB Vol I before moving to VOL II? How is it going with you?

cheers,
    mhonsky
    Reading Hrs for Lab:60
    Lab Hrs: 200

Goal 2013: CCIE R&S ( ) | ITILv3 Foundation ( )
  • Options
    Yea I tackled WB I before moving to WB II.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Put in a good 4 hours in every day this week, I might not get much studying down this weekend.. I'm going to be apartment hunting today, I took another job for another company. So I'm moving down closer to Tampa.

Long story but while my title Sr Network Engineer for my current company I've barely worked with Cisco equipment in the last 6-8 months like I use to.. If it wasn't for my home lab my IE studies would have been at a complete stand still.

However, now I'll be jumping into an environment with a much larger network and a lot more Cisco, Might have to learn a little Juniper and some Cisco Voice stuff but this looks like a great opportunity.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Congrats on the new Job! Remember its ok to take a few days off studying so you don't get burned out. I took a few months off when my daughter was born!
  • Options
    Thanks bud!

I'm really looking forward to this change. I'll planned it so I get a week off between jobs. Mainly to give myself a day or to move and I'll probably lab hard for the rest of that week and knock out a good portion of WB II !
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well, having just moved a little south of Tampa. I just need to start putting my Cisco lab together and get back to my studies.

In the mean time I have INE videos as my background music.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Keep up the hard work! Hopefully you will free time coming up to work on your studies.
  • Options
    Knocked out a few TS labs from WB II this week. So far they aren't too bad, a couple real easy tickets in there.

Sadly I probably spent more time troubleshooting my own rack issues then the actually tickets. (I didn't re-seat all my serial cables properly after the move, and had changed the system mtu on some of the switches... which doesn't show up in the running config)

Troubleshooting might be the easier part for me.

Well, gonna try and knock one more TShoot lab from WB II tonight. Then I'm gonna chill (Game of Thones anyone?) and prep for my first day at this new place.

and I completely forget to tee a blog post for Monday morning icon_sad.gif maybe I won't watch Game of Thrones
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well, this new job is pretty good. I'm liking it, not having to spend 2+ hours a day driving is just awesome. Plus I've got some good projects coming down the pipe.

I've been knocking out at least 1 WB II lab a night this week. (Knocked out 2 Wednesday) So I'm pretty much back on the ball very heavily!

I should be done with the WB II troubleshooting labs this weekend. I'm aiming to start back up on the WB II Configuration labs by Sunday.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Just finished up the WB II troubleshooting labs. Now for a headstart of the configuration labs!
    My Networking blog