Options

Creating an account for every single job you apply for? Noway

phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
It drives me crazy! why don't they just look at my resume? It's the exact same thing! It takes me 10 to 20 minutes for every single account I have to create. And what are my chances? It's frustrating. I'm done with that US nonsense, I'll stay in Canada, where you can find a job on craigslist.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Won't do it. Unless I have an interview and the application process is retroactive I will only do it few and far between. A lot of times I skip dates especially if they asked where I lived 6 years ago :/

They get the information I provide them and that is all. If they choose not to pick me that's fine I have no problem with that. If the interview goes well and they ask nicely for me to fill out another form or go back and fill in the form fields I missed I will do that.

(This is my style, it might not be good ;))
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thats why i like jobvite...you can use the same login for various companies, as long as they are using jobvite to do their online applications...

but yeah, doing the various logins is ANNOYING to no end...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Small price to pay for a good job if you ask me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    We had this discussion few weeks ago when I was complaining. It sucks!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah tell me about it I used to hate that as well but if the job was intriguing enough and it's really what I want to do (especially if its a bigger company) I would comit to doing it
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's really pretty lame. I hate Taleo in particular and I think companies using Taleo really need to reconsider.

I don't mind it so much when they effectively pull everything from your resume, but unless your resume is in a very specific format, it won't work.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    We discussed this a week or two ago. Is definitely not the same thing. Just try to see it from the other end. You have an open position with a zillion applicants all some of them using stupid resume formats that are outdated, inefficient or just plain ridiculous. By standardizing the process HR departments that are regularly overwhelmed can streamline the process. It is nobody's fault that there are so many different systems to accomplish this.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Necessary evil, but not a big deal to me. I can breeze through them pretty quickly in 5-10 minutes tops.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think most people should just refuse to fill them out.

Makes looking at my application much easier for HR.
  • Options
    I don't know, some of them get pretty detailed and don't import anything. It can easily turn into 20 minutes of extra work in a process that might already take an hour per job between finding and applying for the job (including writing a cover letter). That's really not bad for one job, and if you're applying for that perfect position I can see taking that time. If you're unemployed or otherwise have some level of desperation and are applying for every position for which your qualified, it's really irritating.

As N2 implies and has stated in the past, an organization that has a truly inefficient application process might also not have good processes in general, and as such may simply not be a good organization to work for. I agree with this to an extent, though I understand the impetus behind outsourcing HR application systems to other companies, even if their processes suck for applicants. At the end of the day, if the job is right I will take the time. If it's kind of "meh", a Taleo-like system will be the last straw.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm waiting for them to say "Connect with your Facebook login" then it's all over!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When applicants come to apply in person at our office and the first thing they ask is "Do I really have to fill all this out?", their faces automatically become a blur to me soon replaced with a big bolded red X.
  • Options
    a.a.!4life wrote: »
    When applicants come to apply in person at our office and the first thing they ask is "Do I really have to fill all this out?", their faces automatically become a blur to me soon replaced with a big bolded red X.

That's different, I think. If you're that far into the process, filling out some paperwork should be pretty standard.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I really don't see what the problem is with having to fill out an application for a job. I can't think of a job I've had that didn't require an application whether it be paper or online.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    thats why i like jobvite...you can use the same login for various companies, as long as they are using jobvite to do their online applications...

but yeah, doing the various logins is ANNOYING to no end...

+1 to jobvite
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jobvite is something I will look into. Thanks for the heads up +1 rep
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    rsutton wrote: »
    +1 to jobvite

how does it work?
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    That's different, I think. If you're that far into the process, filling out some paperwork should be pretty standard.

Just saying you could tell a lot about someone on their first impression, if they're already complaining about the application process whether it be a paper application or form fields on a website, then they're obviously not hungry or eager enough to get the job which could say a lot about their production value.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    a.a.!4life wrote: »
    Just saying you could tell a lot about someone on their first impression, if they're already complaining about the application process whether it be a paper application or form fields on a website, then they're obviously not hungry or eager enough to get the job which could say a lot about their production value.

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but if the person has the guts to complain about the application process to the people that gave them an interview, they are an idiot. Complaining about something so simple is just asking to be declined.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm usually not opposed to filling out whatever information a potential employer asks for. The only times I've passed on applying has been when they want me to send a resume and fill out all my information by hand, or link my LinkedIn profile and then ask me to fill in all my info by hand all over again. If it gets a bit too redundant, (and the job isn't so attractive that I absolutely, positively MUST HAVE IT,) I move on and apply to places that ask for a resume and cover-letter or use something like Jobvite.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Even though creating many accounts can be annoying it does cut out all lot of candidates because they don't want to take the time to apply.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5