Digi CM 32 Access Server Question

ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
So I've recently acquired some Cisco equipment and I've been building out a lab for me to play and tinker with. On the recommendation of several users I also purchased a Digi CM32 Access Server from ebay for pretty cheap. I know this is going to be pretty much the stupidest question ever, but I cannot find the answer for the life of me in the user manual or through google searches, so I turn to you, O wise users and friends of techexams! icon_lol.gif

Not sure what cables to use to connect from the access server to the devices. I've attempted connecting cross-overs, straight-throughs, and roll over cable from the access server to the console port on each router and swtich. I simply cannot get the access server to talk to any of the devices (basically I cant ssh or telnet through the access server to any device). I dont think the cables are the issue as I've tested them on other devices and they work (with the exception of the roll over cable). I'm able to connect to the access server and configure it, I dont think I'm configuring it incorrectly, but again I cant quite rule out misconfiguration.

Any thoughts on what the issues could be? Has anyone ran into a similar situation?
:study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA

Comments

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Straight cables from the console switch to the console ports on the routers/switches.

Are you able to connect to the CM32 from your pc/laptop? Then you login to it via ssh (you'll need a serial to rj45 adapter, cisco console cable won't work here if you use the console port to PC instead of ethernet for telnet/ssh/https) or https via ethernet port on the cm32 (set the ip on your pc/laptop to the same subnet as cm32).
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • viktormadaraszviktormadarasz Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I've recently acquired some Cisco equipment and I've been building out a lab for me to play and tinker with. On the recommendation of several users I also purchased a Digi CM32 Access Server from ebay for pretty cheap. I know this is going to be pretty much the stupidest question ever, but I cannot find the answer for the life of me in the user manual or through google searches, so I turn to you, O wise users and friends of techexams! icon_lol.gif

Not sure what cables to use to connect from the access server to the devices. I've attempted connecting cross-overs, straight-throughs, and roll over cable from the access server to the console port on each router and swtich. I simply cannot get the access server to talk to any of the devices (basically I cant ssh or telnet through the access server to any device). I dont think the cables are the issue as I've tested them on other devices and they work (with the exception of the roll over cable). I'm able to connect to the access server and configure it, I dont think I'm configuring it incorrectly, but again I cant quite rule out misconfiguration.

Any thoughts on what the issues could be? Has anyone ran into a similar situation?

Im in the same situation...

1., Successfully connected to my Digi CM 32 after factory reset via default IP over Safari and via SSH2 also with the default root and dbps password. Normal Patch cable connects the mac to the Ethernet port of the Digi CM 32

2., Failed part.. I tried also Cisco rollover console cable (RJ45 on both ends 1..8 Pins connected to 8....1 on the onther side) (cable might be wrong but I guess its just not the good cable... Nor Patch not Crossover cable ... I found no working cable hooking Digis terminal ports 1 - 32 to connect to my Cisco Router's Switches and Routers Console ports..

Anyone can tell me the correct cable I need to buy or make (with pinouts)?

Thanks,
    Just like the manual states, straight through cables between the cm32 and routers/switches connected via the console port.
    JeanM wrote: »
    Just like the manual states, straight through cables between the cm32 and routers/switches connected via the console port.

Straight thru cable means .....

Cisco rollover cable pinouts?

Im not good with this thats why i was asking...

if someone can tell me the color codes on each end I can crimp it from there..

Thanks,

Thats the one?

[h=3]Netra/Cisco RJ45 console port to Digi[/h] Notes: This is the standard cable we use for the Netras and switches
    Adapter: 4pair-UTP-RJ-45
    Input: Cisco/Netra pinout on RJ-45-8 connector
    Output: Digi pinout on RJ-45-8 connector

Input (Cisco/Netra)

Output (Digi)

Pin
    Signal
    Jumper
    Signal
    Pin

DTR
    Orn
    DCD/DSR

CTS
    Brn
    RTS

GND
    Blu
    GND

Rx
    Grn
    Tx

Tx
    GrnWhi
    Rx

SG
    BluWhi
    SG

RTS
    OrnWhi
    CTS

DCD/DSR
    BrnWhi
    DTR

Thats the one?

Netra/Cisco RJ45 console port to Digi

Notes: This is the standard cable we use for the Netras and switches
    Adapter: 4pair-UTP-RJ-45
    Input: Cisco/Netra pinout on RJ-45-8 connector
    Output: Digi pinout on RJ-45-8 connector

Input (Cisco/Netra)

Output (Digi)

Pin
    Signal
    Jumper
    Signal
    Pin

DTR
    Orn
    DCD/DSR

CTS
    Brn
    RTS

GND
    Blu
    GND

Rx
    Grn
    Tx

Tx
    GrnWhi
    Rx

SG
    BluWhi
    SG

RTS
    OrnWhi
    CTS

DCD/DSR
    BrnWhi
    DTR

The color coding in the jumper column is for the left side order or the right side one (input or output)?
    Maybe its not the one and im mistaken
  • jsjacksojsjackso Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Straight thru cable means... plain old Ethernet straight-through cable. That's what worked with mine.
    Correct, not cross-over and not rollover cable, regular cat5/6 patches cables that you would use for connecting pc to switch for example.
    Correct, not cross-over and not rollover cable, regular cat5/6 patches cables that you would use for connecting pc to switch for example.

Hm, imhave to try that out..i tried patch cable but i may overlooked something in my digi cm config if there was any...

thank you guys i be back and tell what happened after testing
    Hm, imhave to try that out..i tried patch cable but i may overlooked something in my digi cm config if there was any...

thank you guys i be back and tell what happened after testing

Yes, normal plain straight thru patch cable wired/crimped as 568A or 568B scheme (both ends 568A or B)

Thanks,

Now i only have to go and make 10 cables of 1-1.5m :)