Options

Creating a Delegated DNS Zone

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently working on an exercise in a book I'm reading which covers the 70-640 exam. This particular exercise is on creating a delegated DNS zone, and these are the steps I am taking.

- In the previous exercise the book had me create a forward lookup zone. I created the zone name panek.com.

Creating a Delegated DNS Zone

1. Open the DNS management snap-in by selecting Start | Administrative Tools | DNS.

2. Expand the DNS server and locate the zone you created earlier.

3. Right-click the zone and choose the New Delegation command.

4. The New Delegation Wizard appears. Click Next to close the initial wizard page.

5. Enter ns1 (or whatever other name you like) in the Delegated Domain field of the Delegated Domain Name page. This is the name of the domain for which you want to delegate authority to another DNS server. It should be a subdomain of the primary domain. Click Next to complete this step.

6. When the Name Servers page appears, click the Add button to add the name and IP address(es) of the servers that will be hosting the newly delegated zone (in this case I entered panek.com). Click the Resolve button to automatically resolve this domain name's IP address into the IP address field. Click OK, then click Next to continue with the wizard.

7. Click Finish. The New Delegation wizard will disappear and you'll see the new zone you've just created appear beneath the zone you selected in Step 4. The newly delegated zone's folder icon is drawn in grey to indicate that control of the zone is delegated.

The problem occurs when I click Resolve. When I do that a box pops up with a DNS error saying: "The IP address(es) for this server cannot be found. No such host is known."

I have no idea why it is giving me that error. Has anyone experienced this issue before, and/or knows what the problem might be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    6. When the Name Servers page appears, click the Add button to add the name and IP address(es) of the servers that will be hosting the newly delegated zone (in this case I entered panek.com). Click the Resolve button to automatically resolve this domain name's IP address into the IP address field. Click OK, then click Next to continue with the wizard.

The problem occurs when I click Resolve. When I do that a box pops up with a DNS error saying: "The IP address(es) for this server cannot be found. No such host is known."

I have no idea why it is giving me that error. Has anyone experienced this issue before, and/or knows what the problem might be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Based on the Sybex book: "For the purpose of this exercise, enter the zone name you used in Exercise 6.1".
    On Exercise 6.1, the zone name was "sybex.com", not "panek.com".
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    Based on the Sybex book: "For the purpose of this exercise, enter the zone name you used in Exercise 6.1".
    On Exercise 6.1, the zone name was "sybex.com", not "panek.com".

The book I am using is a Sybex book, but probably not the one you're referring to, as the exercise where I entered "panek.com" is Exercise 2.2, not 6.1. The book I am using is called Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide. Step #5, on Exercise 2.2 says: "Enter a new zone name in the Zone name field and click Next (I used my last name-Panek.com)." I followed the book and decided just to use his last name.

Hope this clarifies things for you. :) If you come up with any other ideas as to what might be going wrong and could let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for your help!

• Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Which book is it, is it the one with 640, 642 and 643 in one, or is it just spesific for 640?

If you are creating a delegation for a new domain tree, then I think the dns server where you are creating the delegation, will not be able to reslove the ip address of the first DC for the new domain tree, as such a host name at the moment does not exit, and certainly not in your zone.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    It's the 640, 642, 643 in one book.

I've done the previous exercises up to that point, that's why I was a little confused as to why it wasn't working. The only thing the book has had me create is a zone name. So you're saying I need to create a host name as well? What's the best way to go about doing this? I'm not the best when it comes to DNS unfortunately. icon_sad.gif