Wanting to start my CCNA

Carter.TechCarter.Tech Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
This is my first time poster but I have been reading through the forums for a long time now. A little background… I am switching from my position as a personal banker and vault teller at a bank to wanting to get into the IT field – specifically networking and perhaps security as well and even maybe go into ccnp right away too. I have been spending the last few months learning terminology from A+, network+, and security+ cert guides and feel I am ready to dive into the ccna. I am hoping you guys will be able to help me find a decent lab setup for a decent price. I have searched the forums and am still pretty confused at what I will need for me. I have also read that there are a lot of sellers who are short changing you on hardware, cables, and ram so if anyone can help me find a good package that is loaded with the good stuff I would appreciate that too.

Being that I am hoping to get into ccna security and/or ccnp would I be better off buying a ccna lab and then adding onto it with what I would need for the security? Or would I end up having to replace it all for the security? The cheaper the better for me and I would prefer xm models. Just looking on eBay and this is what I am thinking of:

Cisco CCNA & CCNA Security Std 640-553 Combo Lab Kit | eBay
or

Cisco Advanced CCNA & Starter CCNP Lab Kit 2610XM/2621/2500/2924 | eBay
or

Cisco 2620XM 32F/128D Routers 2924 Switch CCNA CCNP LAB | eBay

I just really want to make sure I get a kit that will have all the stuff I will need so I won’t have to order anything else. Would you guys recommend any other kits or sellers? Is there anything extra I should be purchasing with these kits? Thank you guys so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Comments

• ciscon00bciscon00b Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My advice stay away from kits. Use GNS3 and PT for your CCNA studies and use a well written study guide.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ciscon00b wrote: »
    My advice stay away from kits. Use GNS3 and PT for your CCNA studies and use a well written study guide.
    As Ciscon00b notes, simulators/emulators can help you master the exam objectives more quickly. Although I do understand, folks new to the field, are often excited to touch hardware. ;)

(And there are some non-exam advantages to a bit of cabling experience.)

As far as the kits you mention, the CCNA & CCNA Security Std kit looks adequate for your purposes, although definitely their premium kit (which includes three routers and three switches) would be more interesting to watch and learn from. Of course, you could get the std and plan to buy those extra pieces later, once you personally see why the extra devices would be helpful. Best of luck, mate!