Options

warl0ck Gam3z hacking game module

reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
Hey all,

Just wanted to give a shout out for my buddy and professor, Robert Murphy. I took his ethical hacking class at UMUC a few semesters ago and I have to say it was an amazing experience. I learned SO much and to top it all off, for the final exam we had a hacking competition that we had a week to complete. It consisted of a game board in which you started off answering basic hacking questions. However, it quickly progressed into something much different, and much more fun. Some of the later questions actually had you breaking into a system (a VM on his network) and gathering passwd and shadow files and then cracking them on your home machine in order to gain the code needed to answer the game tile. We were given VPN information at the beginning of the exam and once connected, the tile would be an IP address. You would need to surmise what you needed to find based on the category that the particular tile was in. Some of the questions literally took me 12+ hours to answer.

There were also fun little side games. A random ticker would present a random question. You had to really pay attention to it as the link would only last about 10 seconds. If you clicked it in time you were given a bonus question. You had one chance to answer.

Another really fun aspect was if you were the leader. Normally, you could select any question on the board, much like jeopardy. If you couldn't answer your selected question you could back out and choose another. Not so as the leader of the board. If you were the leader, once you picked a question, you could not back out until either you answered correctly or you were passed. I spent a LOT of time staring at the same question for hours as I was the leader the majority of the time. It really added a nice dynamic to the game.

It also has a real time chat room/IM client for everyone to use while in the game. I used this on multiple occasions to give out false information in order to stall people. It was also cool to just be able to talk to others while John ran in the background.

The point of this post is that we are trying to promote this tool to people and get the word out. We are looking for sponsors for prizes and to host the event. UMUC and Cisco have both used the platform to great success and Cisco will be running another event in June. Warl0ck Gam3z can be found on Facebook here : Gam3z Inc. | Facebook

Go check it out and throw a like if you would. Thanks!