Options

Finding Remote Positions

AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
I've been toying around with the idea of getting a second either part time or full time job lately and ideally would love to find a remote position.

For those members that are working remotely, how did you come about getting into such a position? -Did you transition to remote after you started or were you able to start out remote with a company?

What are some some good places to be looking for these type of jobs?

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    IIRC Dice lets you filter listings to show those that allow remote work/telecommuting. That is how I found my last job, I started out remote. Company was 2 states, ~500 miles away.

The best thing you can do is ask. If your resume is up on all the usual job sites, I'm sure you get a bunch of e-mails from recruiters. If any of them interest you at all, reply back and ask if they are willing to allow you to work remotely. If they say yes, start the interview process.

I found that once I started interviewing for 1 remote job, I was suddenly finding and interviewing for several.

I work remotely in my new job too, but I also travel a lot for this one. Last one was almost no travel at all, worked from home more than 90% of the time.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    IIRC Dice lets you filter listings to show those that allow remote work/telecommuting. That is how I found my last job, I started out remote. Company was 2 states, ~500 miles away.

The best thing you can do is ask. If your resume is up on all the usual job sites, I'm sure you get a bunch of e-mails from recruiters. If any of them interest you at all, reply back and ask if they are willing to allow you to work remotely. If they say yes, start the interview process.

I found that once I started interviewing for 1 remote job, I was suddenly finding and interviewing for several.

I work remotely in my new job too, but I also travel a lot for this one. Last one was almost no travel at all, worked from home more than 90% of the time.
    Good info, thanks. I telecommute about 90% of the time for my current role, but I found out about it by luck (the hiring manager sent me a PM on a forum to ask if I was interested in interviewing), so I don't have experience with finding such roles.
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Did you transition to remote after you started or were you able to start out remote with a company?
    I had two weeks of training in the office, after which I switched to remote work.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV