GNS3 Issue - Getting Error:209-unable to start VM Instance

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Let me know if this thread shouldn't appear in this forum.

I have the latest version of GNS3 will all of the other software installed. I am able to get up and running router topologies ok, and I would like to add switches to the mix. I'm using a 3600 series router and then adding in the correct module to simulate a switch and I get all of the full features of CLI.

The only issue is that when I go to start the router I keep getting the following error: error:209-unable to start VM instance.

I did look thru the GNS3 forum and the root cause appears to be a Unicode error. I'm not to terribly familiar with Unicode so had to read up on it. Still not sure if I have a full understanding or not.

I've tried to compare the setting I have with the 3700 routers that I have up and running Vs 3600 router and I'm not able to see any differences.

Can anyone make any troubleshooting recommendations to see if I can get this fixed or not?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you sure the path to the IOS or the name of the IOS is correct ? To make things simpler, i usually just create a folder called IOSImages under gns3 in c drive/program folders and put my IOS images in there. Then in gns3 under edit/IOS images hypervisors point gns3 to the images.

GNS3 Labs: GNS3 error "209-unable to start VM instance" General Issues:
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm having the same problem after installing GNS3 for the first time. If you find a solution please post it. I plan on looking into it more tonight after work.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
    Try using a compressed image file. I found if i uncompress the ios, and try to start the router I would get a 209 error. However, the second try to start the router it would start. Using a compressed file gave me no errors.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Well I got it to work, BUT I'm back to square one now.

I moved all of my IOS to C:\program files\gns3 and created a directory called IOS. I then created a c3600 router and started it up and was able to access a port module and able to ping and traceroute ok.

I went then to try another IOS to test that out and back to square one. Matter of fact, I can't remember if I used either .bin or .image file for the IOS. Most of my IOS are in .bin format, so I think GNS3 prefers to have uncompressed images to work with.

mella060 wrote: »
    Are you sure the path to the IOS or the name of the IOS is correct ? To make things simpler, i usually just create a folder called IOSImages under gns3 in c drive/program folders and put my IOS images in there. Then in gns3 under edit/IOS images hypervisors point gns3 to the images.

GNS3 Labs: GNS3 error "209-unable to start VM instance" General Issues:
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe the latest version of GNS3 uncompresses the images for you. From memory, when you add a new IOS image, it will ask if you want to uncompress the image so i just hit yes.
    mella060 wrote: »
    I believe the latest version of GNS3 uncompresses the images for you. From memory, when you add a new IOS image, it will ask if you want to uncompress the image so i just hit yes.

Yes GNS3 will prompt and uncompress the file for you.
    Add the file, say yes to the prompt, check the ram config and you should be good to go.

I found out you need to show file extensions. the 209 error tends to be GNS3 does not recognize the file or can't find it. Try shorting the file name to something simple like 2600xm.bin
    First, this might seem like a stupid question.

For the node types on the left hand side, there is on for Router c3600, however I'm trying to use an IOS image of c3620. Are the c3620 not compatible with c3600 Routers?

Also when I try to start up one of the routers and I've tried many IOS, the first error message that I get is this:
    209_unable to start VM instance 'ghost-c3600.bin-127.0.0.1.ghost.'

Then if I try to start the router again, I get the following error message
    209-unable to start VM Instance 'R1'

I also have shortened the file name for the IOS and have noticed that some have multiple periods in them. I did shorten the name, however I'm still getting the 209 error.

BTW, all of the other router nodes work great. No errors when starting up.

I'm trying to use the c3600 for router emulation with the NM-16ESW as a switch, since GNS3 doesn't have this functionality.

If I'm not able to get a c3600 up and working, are there any other alternatives to get switching with GNS3. I know you can link to a physical switch, however I don't live in the United States at this time. I already have Cisco hardware sitting in storage and don't want to have to buy anything else at this time, due to lack of physical storage space.

thanks

-unknown
    check the permissions on the the IOS folder. I put all my IOS in c:\IOS.

Try using a compressed image. I had the same issue above where 2600 IOS would give that error if it was uncompressed. All other IOS worked fine.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go check out the forums at 7200emu.hacki.at :: Index. I'm confident you will find an answer there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    check the permissions on the the IOS folder. I put all my IOS in c:\IOS.

Try using a compressed image. I had the same issue above where 2600 IOS would give that error if it was uncompressed. All other IOS worked fine.

I've checked the folder permissions (I'm using Win 7 Pro) and they look fine, for all I know.

I've tried both compressed/uncompressed IOSs for 3600 and still doesn't work.

-unknown
    So, I'm running out of things to troubleshoot here. So I did an uninstall/reinstall and still having the issue.

Maybe the 3600 IOSs are all corrupt?

Can anyone make any other recommendations on how to emulate a Switch then in GNS3?

-unknown
    FYI, c7200 can do the NM-16ESW can do switch emulation for GNS3. Don't know why the c3600 isn't working...

-unknown