Options

junior admins/engineers

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
how long have you guys being in i.t and what do you guys do daily and what is your role like,

the topic junior admin/engineer sounds like it should be a new section in i.t like helpdesk or desktop support.

Keen to hear all of your input.

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=what%20do%20network%20en&tok=rh4IPgnQiBvtRsIw5liQ1w&cp=20&gs_id=bi&xhr=t&q=what+do+network+engineers+do&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=what+do+network+engi&aq=0&aqi=g1g-K2g-bK1&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=61fe8c406b329c8c&biw=1920&bih=1015

I googled "what do network engineers do", and a lot of results came up. I would go ahead and read through the many postings. FYI, the term "Network Engineer" can mean very different things from company to company.

"the topic junior admin/engineer sounds like it should be a new section in i.t like helpdesk or desktop support."

I really don't understand what you're trying to say?
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    hijacking thread

Do companies really look for "junior" admins?
    Ive never seen it online, like seriously.
    I do see network/sys admin with certain not that complex duties
    but I dont see junior admin anywhere

is it a common thing?
    meh
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen a couple postings for Jr. Admins, but I've found most companies use it to lower the salary expectations. In the Philadelphia area, there seems to be a healthy mix of Jr. Admin job postings. As far as the ops question, Jr. Admins are usually grabbing the low hanging fruit that comes in. Might be in charge of a couple servers/switches and whatever else the admins want to throw their way. They'll still handle tickets, but usually the ones related to infrastructure and not the desktop side of things.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    hijacking thread

Do companies really look for "junior" admins?
    Ive never seen it online, like seriously.
    I do see network/sys admin with certain not that complex duties
    but I dont see junior admin anywhere

is it a common thing?

I've also noticed that a "Jr. System Admin" role can also be found as Lvl 3 Desktop Support & Lvl 3 Help Desk Analyst. Usually doing "light server" support, but more than just resetting an account in Active Directory
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This just comes down to semantics, I have seen System Admin roles called Business Analyst, Senior Computer Tech, Senior Business Analyst, and so on. Sometimes, it's also an HR title and pay issue, some companies "create" a title to justify someone coming in above what the other title makes. I worked with someone who was labeled a manager, but he was the web master, he had to be labeled manger or else he could not get the pay that he came in as.
  • Options
    i reckon these are the perfect roles for ppl to start in and a ideal way to skip helpdesk, it will put u a year and a half to 3 years infront of anyone else u start on helpdesk or repair tech or equilent level role

you guys agree??
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    healthyboy wrote: »
    i reckon these are the perfect roles for ppl to start in and a ideal way to skip helpdesk, it will put u a year and a half to 3 years infront of anyone else u start on helpdesk or repair tech or equilent level role

you guys agree??
    I'm not sure what you mean by skipping helpdesk. The IT career path can be quite varied. It's not necessary to start on a helpdesk - admin support, business analyst, computer operations, etc. are different ways. Helpdesk tends to be common because there are simply more helpdesk jobs. And the entry-level job that someone can get is typically commesurate with their skillset and education.

Is there a reason why you believe there is value in not performing a support role? Working on a helpdesk build customer servicing skills which can be invaluable in the latter part of an IT career.
    healthyboy wrote: »
    how long have you guys being in i.t
    I have beeen in IT for over 25 years.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guy I know got hired as a junior network engineer but hasn't touched the network yet just been doing pc tech type of jobs. Title doesn't mean much I suppose.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Guy I know got hired as a junior network engineer but hasn't touched the network yet just been doing pc tech type of jobs. Title doesn't mean much I suppose.
    It's an unsurprising example of how poorly many, maybe most IT positions are titled.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    ptilsen wrote: »
    It's an unsurprising example of how poorly many, maybe most IT positions are titled.

Yes, depending on the company the title is nothing more than hype to attack people who seek such roles. If the title doesn't fit the job description I'm after I wouldn't apply for that position. If the title said helpdesk and I've seen it before and it represents more or a networking role I would go for that job if the pay is correct of course. Signing on to a job that gives you a fancy title without the workload to back it up is pretty sad.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    yeah, happened to me my title is junior system engineer, yet i only do some server and network level work its like 40 percent desktop level work for users (not password rreset)and rest is looking after the site (not website) and da data center as well as i.t equipement management

now thats not junior sys admin work.