Options

Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2?

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know that the current exam tests on version R2. But does the exam also test on W2K8 non-R2 as well? For instance, looking at Server Core,the nine server roles that W2K8 supports includes IIS as a static Web server because ASP.NET cannot be installed. But I am reading that in R2, a subset of ASP.NET is now supported. So would the exam cover the W2K8 version or the R2 version or both. Also, in R2, does the inclusion of ASP.NET now mean that it is no longer a static Web server?

Thanks for all of the help!
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The short answer is that the material is very much focused on Server 2008 R2. Study that and don't worry too much about the difference between 2008 and 2008 R2. The test is on the current product, not the differences or non-R2 specific characteristics. Differences between 2008 R2 and 2003 are more likely to be tested on than those between 2008 and 2008 R2.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OK, thanks. That is what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure. The Microsoft Official Course Curriculum shows both, but the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit just shows R2 information. I do know they might test between 2003 and 2008 R2 such as in functional levels and Group Policy.

Thanks again!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Microsoft tends to lean towards testing on the newest technology, in this case R2. I would focus on the new enhancements of R2 like the AD Recycle Bin, etc. Also, remember that the exam "may include, but is not limited to" in the objectives.