Options

How should I handle this?

jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
This is the second time some lady in my group keeps trying to have me do something. My boss, some other guy and I were having a discussion, my boss wanted to have the other it guy to do something and this lady came from nowhere and said maybe its something l- "OP" can do. This is the second time she is doing this. Mind you, my boss was trying to assign various task for both of us to do.

Thanks
James

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like your boss needs to handle it. He's the one giving out the tasks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

My boss then assigned it to me. Basically taking the task away from the other IT guy and gave it to me + additional task.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    The workplace environment is a strange place. You'll have people acting or trying to be the boss and if you don't do something they ask of you, then they'll go to the boss and say your not a team player. It's a tricky situation and there is nothing more annoying them a coworker trying to be acting boss.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    My boss then assigned it to me. Basically taking the task away from the other IT guy and gave it to me + additional task.

So talk to your boss if you have a problem with it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrBishop wrote: »
    The workplace environment is a strange place. You'll have people acting or trying to be the boss and if you don't do something they ask of you, then they'll go to the boss and say your not a team player. It's a tricky situation and there is nothing more annoying them a coworker trying to be acting boss.
    I guess I just have to not say anything.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Ah no! I would do that opposite....I will flip on person if they continue to step on my toes. If I'm busy doing a task or job then I would say if you have the time to come bother me, then you have time to do it!
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    MrBishop wrote: »

That's why I avoid any employment where the boss or interviewer uses the term "Team Player" in the interview. I'm not a "Team Player" and there are no teams in IT. It's a job, not a sport. In my experience, "Team Player" mentality is nonsense used to **** work around so people can dodge responsibilities and screw around. When I was working for an MSP, they used that TP BS and their service completion rate per month on my "team" (these were people I did not see on a daily basis or work with as far as anything team-like goes) was mid 60%. I brought it up to high 90's all by myself because I wasn't doing that TP crap and kicking my work assignments around like a soccer ball.
  • Options
    I agree WafflesAndRootbeer 100%! I know employers use tactics to control workers and also to out people that don't follow them. I don't want to sound conceded but I make sure that I do my job and then some. I'm very proficient and have always cut the time to complete a job down. So basically, I feel I have the right to flip on people I consider just "yes sir/maam" types. "I'll suck up to the boss to compensate for my lack luster performance."
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's why I avoid any employment where the boss or interviewer uses the term "Team Player" in the interview. I'm not a "Team Player" and there are no teams in IT. It's a job, not a sport. In my experience, "Team Player" mentality is nonsense used to **** work around so people can dodge responsibilities and screw around.

That is a miss understanding of what it means to be a team player, taking Soccer as an example as as Team game. with in the team you have 4 main groups. Goal, defence, midfield and forwards. The goalie has a specific role in the team, it is not to try to score goals or move the ball up the field of play. it is specific to protecting the mouth of the gaol from direct attack. the same is rue of the forwards, there job is not to defend the goal but to attack the opposite goal.

In a well managed team players are expected to stick to there position, and carry out there role/job. The term team player is not about doing other peoples work, but insuring you do yours correctly and insure you are aware of what others are doing and they are aware of you.

In the example of soccer a good defence depends on 3 or 4 people to carry out there own separate defined roles as part of a single system. This included asking for help when needed, and providing help where possible.

In IT most projects I work on require multiply skill sets, I work on the network side, while there are server admin, storage admin, vmware guys, software developers etc etc.. being able to work as a "Team" is crucial to delivering these types of projects.

team work does not mean every one diving in and getting on with it, Team work is all about coordinating work loads to the people best able and placed to carry it out.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Sometimes it's just annoying how this lady is always trying to sign me up or push task to me. She did it again today but I ignored what she said.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Sometimes it's just annoying how this lady is always trying to sign me up or push task to me. She did it again today but I ignored what she said.

I'm not a fan of being passive aggressive so I don't think ignoring it is the best option. Your company probably has some way of accepting new work requests whether it's email, a ticketing system or a phone call Etc. You could politely remind her to send an email to whatever medium you use to generate new work tickets. Some people like to add that it helps prevents things from slipping through the cracks, which is true.

If your company does not have a ticketing system or some other standard for accepting new work requests, you could ask her to email whatever distribution list your department uses. The point is, there are ways around being at someone's beck and call.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    That is a miss understanding of what it means to be a team player, taking Soccer as an example as as Team game. with in the team you have 4 main groups. Goal, defence, midfield and forwards.
    I agree. I work on a team. Each of us has a core area where we're stronger than others, and it's only through working together that we can achieve optimal team results.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My first question--why does this bother you? If your workload's light enough that you can accomodate extra tasks without fumbling your existing ones, by all means do so. If you can't, tell your boss. All workers are not equally productive, and more productive workers generally get paid more. :)

PS - And by "can accomodate", I do mean without forfeiting your social life or personal growth. While my career is important to me, my focus in life is happily elsewhere.
  • Options
    I work in a place that thinks we are machines. They are over working us and nobody can say anything. What I don't understand is, why she is always trying to add more duties to my job description? I think she is trying to walk all over me and I don't like that.
  • Options
    There happens to be always one in the bunch that believes its their duty to mentor the new guy/gal. I mean, if its a good way then okay but more than not its a job they don't want to do so they pass it off to the newest help. On the other hand, maybe she likes you, and your taking this all the wrong way! J/K
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I went through the same thing at my last job, and I always joked with my close co-workers that I wanted to hire Terry Tate the office linebacker to solve my problem. The Best of Terry Tate - YouTube <-- for who ever has not had the privilege of seeing Terry Tate at work. Enjoy icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I love those videos...yeah sometimes you wish it was that easy.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    some lady in my group keeps trying to have me do something...this lady came from nowhere and said maybe its something l- "OP" can do. This is the second time she is doing this.

Maybe it's because she knows you feel good, and she knew that you would. At times she knows you feel nice, like sugar and spice, so nice, face it...she got you. Listen, when she holds you in her arms, she knows you can't do no wrong. Your love can't do yourself no wrong. So good, she gots you. But in all seriousness, do the work, prove to your boss that you're dependable and reliable, never show bitterness and kill em with kindness. Don't burn any bridges, you may use them as a reference down the road for a job with a better environment.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^^^ icon_lol.gif LMAO!

Directly ask her why she's always volunteering you if you don't like it. If you are handling the tasks like a BOSS, then continue to do so. Don't let them see you sweat!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    That is a miss understanding of what it means to be a team player...

In a perfect world, your example would be true. However, your definition/understanding of what it means to be a team player is not what always exists in the workplace. I've experienced situations like what WafflesAndRootbeer describes - and it's especially true in government...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    especially true in government...

From my experience government or non government are little different (works 7 years in government)

I have found that bad examples are generally at the more entry level positions, Help desks support desks do often show poor team work, even though to the outside they look like at team environment.

Developing a good ability to function in a team, and standing up to take you place in it, is just as important as learning technical skills. When you move in to more senior roles, team is a much more structured business.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I really don't see the issue here. If you have the time to pick up the extra task then take it and do your job. If you're truly overworked as you say you are then tell your boss that this task would better be suited for someone who has a lighter work load and the time to complete it quicker, I'm sure they will understand this.

Are you really having to put in long days frequently or why do you think that you're overworked?

I guarentee you that she won't get recognized for pushing tasks off onto others but the person that happily accepts and completes them will. If you were looking for someone to promote, who would you choose?
  • Options
    They keep saying we are salary workers that we should suck it up. They made us work crazy schedule including Saturday and Sundays for 5 months. But, it alright I will get pass this.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I guarentee you that she won't get recognized for pushing tasks off onto others but the person that happily accepts and completes them will. If you were looking for someone to promote, who would you choose?

Actually, it looks like she's trying to become a team leader or setting herself up to say in the future "I know how to delegate the workload, because I've always done it." If the boss isn't there he sure will put her in that role because she is acting boss now from what I can see.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    Mrbishop: she is a team leader for other IT guys though. I don't report to her though.
  • Options
    Mrbishop: she is a team leader for other IT guys though. I don't report to her though.

Oh, now I see why she is doing it! It doesn't matter, she feels she has that power to overstep boundaries. I feel you're between a rock and a hard place and the boss will side with those with leadership roles.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    MrBishop: is there anything I can do or just deal with it?
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Personally, I would say just deal with it. The fact that she is coming to you for help means she trusts you. This is a good thing.

If you really don't want to deal with it and no one is listening (and from what it sounds like, no one is listening), start looking for another job and quit when you find one.
  • Options
    MrBishop: is there anything I can do or just deal with it?

I really don't think there is much you can do at this point since she was point in a position of power. I don't know what exactly is the protocol for your office but in reality she could just take the same orders to your boss/team lead and get the same results, which she seems to do anyways. If you're that upset over it, I would say gain as much knowledge as possible and begin looking for another job or ride it out and see if things change.
    Degrees
    Certificaions