Oracle woes :-/

So I honestly do not know much about databases (and the little that I do know is SQL...not Oracle). However, a friend of mine is getting me a job with a company that relies heavily on Oracle solutions. I have a few months until I start and I would like to go in not being completely clueless. Software that I know they rely heavily on includes Oracle E-Business Suite, Peoplesoft, Hyperion, and Fusion middleware. Among these...is there a best place to start? Thanks.

Comments

• halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Is this related to Security ? Most of your Certs are on Security. My bet check Oracle Site for Manuals and White papers Or buy a book on that particular technology. Oracle is a Company not a database language. Oracle 10g / 11g is their Database. SQL and PL/SQL are similar.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I realize that Oracle is a company. I personally use Oracle's virtualbox software for virtualization. But I haven't worked with any of their other software which I was under the impression was mostly database software...but I suppose none of those mentioned are?
    And this is unrelated to security. The company does IT solutions engineering. The customer explains what they need and the company develops an information system that meets those requirements. I'm hoping I will be able to use my security background to some extent, but it seems that I'm entering a whole new area of IT for the most part.
    I'll probably do the Oracle by Example tutorials (per the recommendation of cablegod)...and then hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking for.
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    I recommend you studing for "1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert" and/or "Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate"

Because all Oracle products are based on their database. Database know-how is essential in Oracle world. But be warned those listed exams are not an easy win. They are quite complicated (too complicated for entry level certs in my opinion).
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    crashdump wrote: »
    I recommend you studing for "1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert" and/or "Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate"

Because all Oracle products are based on their database. Database know-how is essential in Oracle world. But be warned those listed exams are not an easy win. They are quite complicated (too complicated for entry level certs in my opinion).

I'm actually preparing for these exams soon.