Options

Education and Certifications for Cyber Law

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello everyone is there any course/program for Cyber/Information Security Law and where we can take it? Which certifications can lead you to that domain? Which books do you recommend? Which technologies/skills must a person have for that ?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    CEH used to cover general cyber laws until version 7 did away with it. I doubt you are going to find a very thorough program that gets into the specifics of InfoSec law, as it will vary from country to country, state to state, etc...
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I've seen some universities that have LL.M. programs in Cyber law, but most of them will require you to have your JD before you can enroll in the program.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Which certifications can lead you to that domain?
    In Canada, you may want to check-out CIPP/C - there's another active thread on the topic here - http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/65716-iapp-cipp-certifications.html

Info on that certification here - https://www.privacyassociation.org/certification/cipp_certification_programs/cipp_c

The CIPP is focused primarily on the aspect of cyber law as it related to privacy matters. There other areas as well such as intellectual property. I'm most familiar with the privacy side.

Unless you are a lawyer already, to get into a role that deals privacy, typically it's skills related to anywhere from incident handling, forensics, legal negotiations. Having a CISSP helps in terms of the associated knowledge that goes with that certification.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed, the CIPP and CISSP would be your best bets from a certification standpoint.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont know about an actual certification but one of my former Professors used to teach a Cyber Law and Cyber Crime course that was very informative
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't bother to get the CIPP cert, a quick search on jobboom.com (Canada) returns no match.
    As other said, check the universities for course on cybercrime of degree in forensic. I've just followed a course on cybercrime as part of a certificate in cyberfraud certificate. In the course, the teacher talked about the Canadian Criminal Code, intelligence property, Provincial Police law, how to conduct an investigation, etc.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

AlexNguyen: I am from Canada too, Edmonton to be exact. Ill check If University of Alberta offers such program.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know that Simon Fraser University in Vancouver offers such program: Police Studies
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Ill check If University of Alberta offers such program.
    You may be aware, but Concordia University College of Alberta has an InfoSec Master's program:
    Welcome | Master of Information Systems Security Management | Concordia University College of Alberta | Concordia University College of Alberta
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs