Options

Certification Logo on Resume

RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
Is this really necessary? I have seen some threads where people recommend it- I have seen some threads where people frown on it.

Just curious what your opinion is. I always thought that by attaching logos to your resume you are:

a) taking up space that you could be actually using for content
b) being redundant because you probably state your cert somewhere else
c) resume scanning software doesn't play nice with images in the doc

Just things I always thought about. Just curious about your opinions. :)
"Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I don't use the logos... in addition to the reasons you mentioned, I personally find it a bit gaudy.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Nope. Cheesy in my opinion. Same goes for emails.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    I can see if you had a stylized resume website, but on paper I agree that it might look like you're just looking to take up space.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just can't see it. It doesn't really enhance anything, and it detracts from the content. It's definitely not typical.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never liked seeing logos on resumes. Also, some certifying organizations like ISACA do not allow for use of logos.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't put your logo on the resume - it's tacky, and it distracts from the you that you are trying to sell.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I just list my certs in a seperate section. No go on the logo...
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    dont do it. list the certs only.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, the logos do looks tacky on the resume, but how would you guys feel about including the actual certificates with the resume? Still tacky? Newbie move?
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I think that is still tacky. Listing your certification is enough.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    a.a.!4life wrote: »
    I agree, the logos do looks tacky on the resume, but how would you guys feel about including the actual certificates with the resume? Still tacky? Newbie move?

Yes, tacky. I've looked at 100's or resumes over the past year, and almost nobody includes cert logos on resumes anymore. I don't think I have come across any. Mailing certificates wouldn't add value either. Listing certifications with the the certification ID (MCP#, VCP#, etc) is all that would be useful information to a hiring manager. You want your resume to be clear and consise, don't waste space on logos...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    I wouldn't have a resume that spans more than the front of a single page. I'm pretty sure employers don't actually care about certificates since I've literally never been asked to verify one in any job interview I've been to.