Options

Got a job offer!

armanguaarmangua Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
Update 5/17/12: I got took the job offer and will start Monday, 5/21/12. I spoke with my current management at Staples and will allow me to work just weekends. My sales manager did some IT contracts and understands the instability and says I can hold on to what I have in case things don't work out. So, I think I'm definitely in a good position!

I just got my A+ Apr 26th, and since then have been applying everywhere for a help desk or desktop support position. Within the last 2 days, I was called back and interviewed by a Gov. contractor for a 3 month long contract as a Help Desk Agent (which went very well). They seemed to like me and said if/when they get a deployment tech position (I'm more interested in), which is full time, they would get me going with that. I was called today and offered the position, starting 5/21/12 at $14 an hour, I asked if they could even go to $16, but $14.50 is the highest. Unfortunately, this my only offer at the moment, so not much leverage, but I kinda feel like this could be a good start and hoping the full time spot opens, I could very well get it. It would be nice to get away from Staples, but I don't know.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    You may have blown it with asking for more money, with any job you should take the pay if it seems fair, then wait till your first review to ask for a raise.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    3 month long? That's rough...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Mstavridis wrote: »
    You may have blown it with asking for more money, with any job you should take the pay if it seems fair, then wait till your first review to ask for a raise.

I disagree with this. Nothing wrong with asking for more money if you think you are worth more. I doubt it will cost you the job unless you ask for something ridiculous. Negotiating salary is a part of any hiring process.

To the OP, congrats on the gig. Even if you don't get the perm job at least you have something to put on the resume. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks! I have the letter right here, and they are waiting for me to sign it. I'll see if I can show them what I have as far as health insurance at Staples and see if they can do anything for me.
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Asking for more is fine when you have been in the field for a while and are valued, on the other hand if you are trying to break in to it you should not worry about your pay and take the experience. In IT you can go from making that 14 dollars an hour to making 60k in less then 5 years with ease. You can do much better if you are determined and focused.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    armangua wrote: »
    Thanks! I have the letter right here, and they are waiting for me to sign it. I'll see if I can show them what I have as far as health insurance at Staples and see if they can do anything for me.

3 months seems risky but hey you cant make an omelet without breaking an egg. Take the job and impress the hell out of your direct reports and I sure more doors will open and extend you past 3 months.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    ...though I'd definitely keep searching for a new job once I start...

Don't be overt about the fact that you'd still be looking for employment... Employers generally frown on the fact if you're still searching out in the open... I've heard of people getting fired for doing so.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like your style arm! Way to hang in there get your fair market value.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you goal is to get a perm position as a deployment tech then you may want to start going over the 70-680 and 70-686. Start out by watching professor messer and itfreetraining videos. That will get you a jump start on deployment. If you pass the 70-680 on your own time/dime then they will see ambition and willingness to go the extra mile and you may very well get a perm position. Either way good luck with the new job.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! :) I think I want to take this job, even though it's risky because now is the best time to do it, but also continue studying for my certs and making sure opportunities are on the table. I think everything will work out, I have the drive to make it happen.
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    If I remember correctly from an earlier post, you were not doing any real it work at staples, right? Then you should give this one a shot. Sometimes you gotta take a risk... Impress the hell outta the ppl there with your skills. Take notes and go above and beyond. Three months I enough to really show your value. Get out there and chew some bubblegum!
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I agree I have to start somewhere, and I'm willing to do that. 3 months is pretty risky, though I'd definitely keep searching for a new job once I start. Now, I only have less than a weeks notice to quit my job at Staples, I dont see my myself going back ever (you never know ), but I also don't want to burn bridges. Does it matter too much?

Nah staples will be fine...just explain this is the first step in your long successful IT career and you have to take it. Good luck
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Nah staples will be fine...just explain this is the first step in your long successful IT career and you have to take it. Good luck

Yea, and it's good timing too. Everyone is jumping ship. Thanks
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    Mstavridis wrote: »

I also disagree with this statement...normal rules don't apply...this is a contract position...and even if it was a normal job...negotiation is part of the process. I am of the opinion that in IT...you should learn to like negotiating...otherwise you will most undoubtedly find yourself underpaid.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats... I'm in the MD area too and I've been putting in apps like crazy, waiting to hear back from a few places. You really have a good opportunity, especially because your current employer is willing to work with you. Best of luck...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I disagree with this. Nothing wrong with asking for more money if you think you are worth more. I doubt it will cost you the job unless you ask for something ridiculous. Negotiating salary is a part of any hiring process.

To the OP, congrats on the gig. Even if you don't get the perm job at least you have something to put on the resume. Good luck!
    Agree.

I believe in getting as much as you can up front, cause once you're there it's not like 20-25% raises are a common thing.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Congrats!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Update 6/16/12: Just finished the first 4 weeks of what was a 3 month position in a contract, and was promoted to a full time/permanent position to actually get benefits, more pay and hopefully better job security. Still going to hold on to Staples for a bit more to ensure a smooth transition. So far, so good, for a first contract. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on the promotion.
  • Options
    Thanks N2IT! I appreciate all of your assistance!
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great job and hopefully a sign of things to come!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Congratulations!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update 6/16/12: Just finished the first 4 weeks of what was a 3 month position in a contract, and was promoted to a full time/permanent position to actually get benefits, more pay and hopefully better job security. Still going to hold on to Staples for a bit more to ensure a smooth transition. So far, so good, for a first contract. icon_smile.gif

More pay is usually good lol.... good news, keep moving forward!
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    gratz man on getting the job and even more +++++++++++ for getting the permanent position!
    meh
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the perm status. I remember reading your first post on leaving staples to go look for a contract position i'm excited to hear it worked out for you. Its a great example for everyone trying to break into i.t. it shows if you keep trying you can break in. Nothing is impossible! Learn as much as you can and cert it up and who knows could be making $20+/hr in a year or so.