Options

70-642 Test Changed any?

smoovedogsmoovedog Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok for the 294th time in the last 5 years, I have decided (ok for real this time, LOL) to crack down and study for my certs.

Been a network admin for 10+ years.

How much has this exam changed in the last year or so? It seems that most of the actual test exams online are from 2011. Pretty sure those are the R2 version, right?

I also have the Microsoft Learning Product for the test. That seems like alot of reading, but if its highly recommended to pass then I will do so. Any other tips/easy reads to study? My study habits are....awful.

TIA

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I don't think the exam format has changed much, if you are familiar with the 2008 R2 environment then it should not take much time for you to go through this exam.
    I am giving the exam in a next few days, went through CBT Nuggets/MCTS Study Guide and some parts of Windows 2008 R2 Unleashed.
    Best of luck!
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    smoovedogsmoovedog Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, same to you!
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We all learn differently, do you study better by reading or watching vids?, taking notes? etc, find what works then plan how you will do it. The books I am currently using are:

Ms Press 70-642 - T. Northrop/Mackin (everyone seems to say make this your main study guide)
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete, - William Panek
    Exam Cram - 70-642 - Patrick reagan (not necessarily a good rant on Amazon reviews)

Additionally I also purchased:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed <gets a great rave both on Amazon and on here!>
    Windows Server 2008 Active Directory - William Stanek
    Windows server 2008 (updated to R2) - William Stanek

Some free vids are: Course Index

I can't answer your question about exam changes as this will be my first MS exam. I hope the above resource helps anyway. I'd say that with your admin experience, the Active Directory components of the exam <there are a few apparently>, you will perhaps do very well, more than anything, the exam objectives seem to target networking and it is obviously usefull to perhaps have a book or some resource on hand that well explains networking concepts. That's my take on it so far, I'll keep you posted as I go along and most certainly after I take the exam....and hopefully pass!!
    The Wings of Technology