Options

Best Study Guide for CCNA

wbroughtwbrought Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have suggestions for study guides for the CCNA test? I want to knock it out the first time I take it. Any help would be beneficial at this time.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Watch CBT Nugget with Jeremy Cioara, read CCNA book by Todd Lammle, do the mock exams in the CCNA book, practice Cisco iOS, take the ICND1 & ICND2 exams.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the CCNA book by Lammele. Make sure you do all the labs and can do them in your sleep.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Im not a ccna, so take my advice with pincers but I find todd lammle book way less boring than wendell odom one.
    I dont know... maybe just me.
    meh
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have both the Todd Lammle book and Wendell Odom's book. They are both great. I have read through Todd's book first (which definitely covers everything on the exam) and I am now reading through Odom's book for further studies on the specific topics. Though, a lot of people have said that he's boring I can see this to be true... but, it is definitely informative - possibly a little too much information in places.

Like others have recommended, go with CBTNuggets if you're completely new to break the ice. Then read Todd Lammle's book. I think if you were to do it in that order, you'll be golden for the exam.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used the above materials as well as Chris Bryant's study guide. Best 25 bucks ever spent.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used the above materials as well as Chris Bryant's study guide. Best 25 bucks ever spent.

I've found his material to be great for labbing, and the description of how OSPF and EIGRP work are in my opinion much more simply explained than Odom and Lammle. I own both the Odom's and Lammle's and it really depends on the topic for which is better. I like Odom's description of ACL's and how to work with them better than Lammle's. It just depends.

Personally I would just get both. If you can't afford to do that then just get Bryant's + Odom. Also, don't by the newest version of Lammle or Odom. Trust me, you don't need it. Also, the older version of Odom's comes with Boson which the new one doesn't have. That is my main reason for owning the Odom books.
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Like others have recommended, go with CBTNuggets if you're completely new to break the ice. Then read Todd Lammle's book. I think if you were to do it in that order, you'll be golden for the exam.

So CBTNuggets is mostly for people who are new to networking? I keep hearing how great it is, and want to check it out, but the price scares me off. A lot.
  • Options
    zenhound wrote: »
    So CBTNuggets is mostly for people who are new to networking? I keep hearing how great it is, and want to check it out, but the price scares me off. A lot.

Yes and no. I just depends. What type of a learner are you? Are you more of a sit down and listen to someone lecture or are you more of a sit down with a book and absorb all the information. If you are the book kind then it will be a cheaper route for you.

Also, I believe that the Network+ certification helped me out a lot with the introduction to networking - it kind of peaked my interest and made me want to learn more about networking in general.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I spent 2 month on my ICND1. I covered CBT Videos and read Odems book. I passed last week with 890. I would definitely say CBT videos helped me followed by topping off my knowledge with the book.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Yes and no. I just depends. What type of a learner are you? Are you more of a sit down and listen to someone lecture or are you more of a sit down with a book and absorb all the information. If you are the book kind then it will be a cheaper route for you.

Also, I believe that the Network+ certification helped me out a lot with the introduction to networking - it kind of peaked my interest and made me want to learn more about networking in general.

Not only newbies, but if you're re-certifying as well and just want a refresher...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    r_durant wrote: »
    Not only newbies, but if you're re-certifying as well and just want a refresher...
    Excellent point - that is very true.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    wbroughtwbrought Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the great ideas!!!! But are there any videos/tutorials that I can watch without subscription?
  • Options
    There are loads of video tutorials on youtube.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I think I'm more of a book learner though I use vids to reinforce things or clear up stuff that didn't click. I ended up going with Bryant Advantage because the price was right (self-funding here). Haven't watched them all but so far so good.
  • Options
    Oh and in terms of free vids, there really are lots of them on YouTube. Search for danscourses, he has a whole ccna class series. Also there are a few courses on iTunes U that looked interesting but I haven't watched them yet.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Oh and in terms of free vids, there really are lots of them on YouTube. Search for danscourses, he has a whole ccna class series. Also there are a few courses on iTunes U that looked interesting but I haven't watched them yet.

What courses? Thanks. :)
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    INE is offering free boot-camp streaming videos. 24 hours worth. I've been watching them day and night and they are very resourceful.
  • Options
    The guy's handle is danscourses. Search for that and he comes right up.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The guy's handle is danscourses. Search for that and he comes right up.

Here - danscourses - YouTube