Options

Practice tests that come with the MS press book, useful?

HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
I rarely used the practice tests with the server exams as most of what I was going through was self labbing and technet for study. However I did take a quick glance at the practice tests for the 70-680 that came with the MS press book. I know MS can trip you up from time to time with the question wording etc. I'm just wondering if this are at least equivalent in complexity to what I can expect on the actual exam. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.

Comments

• Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    not used the 70-680 MS book but in general tests that come with the book are not as good as say Transcender or SelfTestSoftware which cost $$/££
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    I loved reading the book but to be honest the practice questions they have are not good.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They were okay. You should do them, but they should not be your only source.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Was obviously going to lab and technet the topics. Just wanted to see relative level of difficulty, thanks for the answers guys!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, I mean they shouldn't be your only practice questions, specifically. You should do Transcender or something of that nature.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    hennrizzlerhennrizzler Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not only are there not much of them meaning doing it a few times will make you remember the answer just by nature but they are also very simple. Definitely, as everyone else has mentioned, use more than one source for practice. If you've labbed and technet'ed enough of the little details you should be golden.

Those tests on their own however are can deceptively make you think you are ready for the real thing.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I found the MeasureUp exam that came with the MS Press book to be more difficult than the actual exam itself. I also used the exam that came with the Poulton book. Both are good IMO.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    Stoic JokerStoic Joker Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Calling the practice exam that came with the MS Press training kit an atrocity, would (I believe) be unfair ... Only because it may leave someone with the false hope that it is at least slightly useful.

Two of us from IT went to take 70-680 after using only the MS Press TK, some labs, and the Prof Messor vids ... and it was a complete slaughter. I managed to pass (granted I was no where near my target score), but the kid with me got killed with a score of 472.

In fairness we were using an old version of the TK (from 2010) ... But I'd previously never seen a client exam go into that much excruciating detail...on anything. We might as well have taken the exam cold, because that's about how well we scored.

I'm going to get a copy of the Transcender practice exam for the kid's 2nd attempt as they've served me well in the past.
  • Options
    jjasso21jjasso21 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed, the MS Press book practice exam is not that useful. It does test on a bit of knowledge though. I found the practice exam from the Poulton book to be much more beneficial. So I would recommend going through the book. Even if it is an exam cram type of book, it is well tailored towards the 70-680. At the end, you should be much more prepared IMO.
  • Options
    Christobevii3Christobevii3 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought the 70-680 practice tests were decent. If you missed a question go back and read. I got the transcender one too and did the same. If you read a lot or had experience at a job for a few years, then the press tests are probably enough imo.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I find these tests really useful because once you complete them you get to know the area that you need to work on. This has really helped me, most of the Practice Exams available as **** are not good for learning as they will not tell you where you are lacking
    I usually do these questions after studying through the Book and Nuggets as the scores tell me where I need to read up reference material.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    ptilsen wrote: »
    No, I mean they shouldn't be your only practice questions, specifically. You should do Transcender or something of that nature.

Nailed it.

They are there so why not use them? Just dont rely on them to provide you with all the practice required to pass the exam. They have value, but not near enough.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2