Options

Have I been in the wrong job role this whole time???

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, new to this forum and I must say I stumbled upon it randomly while searching for info on the 70-680 and fell in love... amazing info and you guys rock... the info I learned in a week by just browsing this forum is insane :) So I figured maybe you can help me out with some good advise. I have my A+ and my Network+ and I've been in a call center tech support role for over 4 years now and I feel like Ive wasted my time and should've been in a desktop support/help desk role in order to possibly be in a server admin role at some point... I started working for another call center a few months ago and feel like I'm seriously wasting my time and getting further and further from my dream that I finally started to make a reality 2 weeks ago going towards the 70-680 to begin with...any advise/suggestions are more than welcome :) thank you for your time and thank you for reading my long explanation.:)

Comments

• Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say if you aren't learning anything, time to look somewhere else. Lets just say doing password resets and telling people to power cycle their modem wouldn't advance your career.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Luv the avatar kremit....."hello help desk this is Kermit",,,,,made me laugh big time, funny stuff:)
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Learn Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 very well. Try learning VMWare vSphere after that start applying for Jr Server Admin Roles. but for the meantime you can apply junior level IT Support jobs. Apply and Apply... You will get it.
  • Options
    DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the response guys, I'm very interested in Server 2008 R2 but that's gonna be in a nice while, I'm planning on finishing the Windows 7 MCTP Admin cert and then I'm planning on finishing the Server 2008 EA and then probably get certified supporting Exchange... so what you guys are saying is the best solution is to leave the call center and find a desktop support/help desk role??
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    I'm currently in a Network Technician role. I work on Windows /Mac and i build servers and workstations. I love it. I would recommend looking at Windows 7 and then working in a server role. I'm currently working on a bachelor degree and I'm currently MCTS , A+ certified and working on my MCITP and CCENT. Its a great field to work and live in. Get certified is the best way.!!
  • Options
    lefontlefont Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Deemeetri,

Have you made any progress as far as the 70-680 goes? I'm just starting with my studies, I'm looking for someone who is in the same position. We can share info and such. Let me know. Also if anyone here is interested in helping please do so.