Options

Backtrack Video Tutorials

So I just decided to start a series of video tutorials on using backtrack. This is the link for my first video (wireless sniffing):

Wireless Sniffing with Wireshark (Backtrack 5 R2) - YouTube

Thoughts, comments, feedback or suggestions for future videos would be greatly appreciated. icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's awesome you're starting to make videos, I'll take a look at them when I get off work.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I enjoyed it. Simple stuff to start out with. Would be nice if you were part of Commguys.net if you aren't already.
  • Options
    This is the 1st time I have heard of commguys.net, what kind of forum is it?
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    forum for Air Force Communications members.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Actually the first I've heard of it too. I'll look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.
    That's awesome you're starting to make videos, I'll take a look at them when I get off work.

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Overall - good.
    Technical issues with sound quality (muffled, echo, etc.).
    Teaching style - excellent. Nice job in pointing out everything, putting the commands in the captions, and usage of other devices to support the teaching.

I'm sure you'll iron out the technical problems. The most important thing is that your teaching style works and works well.
    I'm looking forward to the next vid.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Thanks for the feedback. I had noticed the audio issues as well. Unfortunately, I had already rendered the edited version and deleted the original by the time I realized. So I should be able to iron those out for future videos. But good to hear the information was well communicated.

A big part of the reason I'm doing this, is because I learn things most thoroughly if I have to teach them. So really, its as much a learning exercise for me as anything.
  • Options
    Yeah, when you have to teach others it really gets you thinking about the subject. And if they ask you questions it can throw a whole new angle on it.

Keep up the good work.

Btw, you look happier in the video than in your avatar.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nicely done, subscribed for future videos. Look forward to watching more when I have the free time.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I will do my best to keep them coming. And I will try to provide some variety with some simple and some more advanced content.
  • Options
    aizzaacaizzaac Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much. I really liked it.

Give me some advice... Which CEH course kit should I buy? CareerAcademy or EC-Council?
    By seeing your video I think I will choose Careeracademy. And implement my own iLabs.

The main difference I see is:

ECCouncil CareerAcademy

Exam price included Exam not included
    iLabs. (3 months) No iLabs
    Free Comptia linux course

$1600 $1300

iLabs: is a virtual environment where various exercises can be practised.

Thanks and keep on with the videos.
  • Options

I don't know much about CareerAcademy, but I did the EC-Council official course and I was not impressed. Half the time, their labs don't work...and there is absolutely no support. And its a very limited environment with only 5 virtual machines. Don't waste your money. Personally, I would just recommend learning the content from a book self-study (its not a very difficult exam) and save your money for OSCP. If I could do it over again, this is the way I'd go.
  • Options
    I was finally able to look at your videos. Good job so far, definitely let me know when you have moreicon_thumright.gif.
  • Options
    Just posted the latest. Crack the SSID of a Non-broadcast Wireless Network Using Backtrack - YouTube
    It shows how to use aireplay to deauthenticate authorized users of a wireless access point that is not broadcasting its SSID. Then how to use wireshark to sniff probe response packets in order to acquire the access point's SSID.

I also developed an animated introduction in Blender3D that's looking pretty sweet. Please like and subscribe if you enjoy it.
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is great stuff, will post some thoughts in when I get a chance, please keep 'em coming. Thanks!
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another San Antonio member! We are rare :)

I will check out the videos you have posted and subscribe :)
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks. Actually just moved down here from Colorado Springs. Got stationed at Lackland. How long you been here?
  • Options
    Born and raised here in San Antonio. I have been in the I/T field for almost 9 years with the last 7 in the Healthcare arena. I'm looking to break into the security field but I'm trying to finish up some projects at my current job first before I start investing time and energy into the job search.
  • Options
    Hey everybody, thanks for all the positive feedback so far. You guys are awesome. Just released a brand new video!!!! It shows how to hack any windows computer that you can get physical access to by mounting the windows file system with Backtrack using a live boot. Then using bkhive to recover the bootkey and using that bootkey to unencrypt the SAM file, which contains the user names and associated password hashes. Then finally using John the Ripper to break the password hashes using a combination of dictionary and brute force attacks.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Please like and subscribe if you haven't yet icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Hack any Windows Computer Using BackTrack 5 R2 - YouTube

I suppose it would help if I posted the link too...eh? lol
  • Options
    Just uploaded the latest...video 5. Performing a wireless deauthentication DoS (denial of service) attack.
  • Options
  • Options
    flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ the_hutch, I just attempted to stream a few of your video files from you tube and it shows that the files are no longer available.
    B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
    A.S Network Server Administration
    M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
    I just tried it and they're there for me.
  • Options
  • Options
    Update: A lot of new content here since I originally made this post. Check it out if you haven't seen them yet.

Videos include:
    - Tutorial 1 - Wireless Sniffing with Wireshark (Backtrack 5 R2)
    - Tutorial 2 - Crack the SSID of a Non-broadcast Wireless Network Using Backtrack
    - Tutorial 3 - Hack Windows User Accounts with BackTrack 5 R2
    - Tutorial 4 - Bypass MAC Filtering on a Wireless Network
    - Tutorial 5 - Wireless Denial of Service Attack
    - Tutorial 6 - Cracking WEP Wireless Encryption
    - Tutorial 7 - Cracking WPA & WPA2 Wireless Security
    - Tutorial 8 - Speed Cracking WPA & WPA2 with CowPatty and Genpmk
    - Tutorial 9 - Packet Injection with Scapy
    - Tutorial 10 - Man-in-the-Middle (MITM) Attack with Ettercap
    - Tutorial 11 - Hack Any Facebook Account Using SET (Social Engineering Toolkit)
    - Tutorial 12 - SQL Injection - Tautological Statement Injection
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice videos!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Meant to reply to this thread a long time ago, but I think the videos are well done. I've also noticed that they've definitely improved over time. The only feedback I would give (I wouldn't call it criticism), is that every time I watch one, I think to myself "man, the intro takes 45 minutes". Granted, I tend toward the impatient (personality flaw), so take that with a grain of salt.

In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to make and share these videos. I've learned some things, but my oldest son has also been finding these videos helpful for his own studies / pursuits. As long as you enjoy it and have the time to continue--keep them coming. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys. And I have had several people suggest shortening the intro. I think the main reason I haven't is laziness. It would require me to rework the template that I built in Blender3D a long time ago.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Subscribed as well. Great job on the videos!