70-432 MCTS Implementation and Maintenance

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
Guys that are studying for this / have studied and taken this test - what material did you use? I have the 'Training Kit' from Mike Hotek and am finding it to be as bad as Amazon reviews say. I also have the orange SQL Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book but have not tried reading it yet. Are there any other study materials that are recommended?

Thanks!
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used that same Microsoft Press book to study for 70-432. As a matter of fact, I posted one of those reviews ("Solid test engine, but book needs editing"). The material in this book is barely adequate. The book also has a lot of errors (especially chapter 1, which is sad).

Take a look at Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Administration: Real-World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-432 and 70-450) (Amazon.com: SQL Server 2008 Administration: Real-World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-432 and 70-450) (9780470554203): Tom Carpenter: Books). It really is the best certification preparation book out there for 70-432 (and one of the only ones for 70-450), which isn't saying much. The material is much more complete and accurate than Microsoft Press, but it's not perfect. For one, some of the exercises and examples take some figuring out.

Feel free to keep the SQL Server 2008 R2 Unleashed as a supplemental reference. I highly advise you drop the Microsoft Press book like it's hot!
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you!
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've passed the exam just yesterday. From the 4th try :)
    Material used - Microsoft 70-432 Self-Paced training kit; Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Administration: Real-World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-432 and 70-450); SQL Server 2008 Administrator's pocket consultant. Not one book was enough alone to pass. I had to combined and cross check with msdn or technet details.
  • derek7derek7 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many folks overlook the books online, but I used this to study for the 70-432 and it helped quite a bit. I also recommend getting a test software, either Transcender or similar...and study, study, study at least an hour a day. Hope that helps!

(by the way, I just passed my 70-432 last week on the first try)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @derek7 - How long did it take you to study for the 70-432 ?