Options

Critical interview questions for all!

HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
How to answer these? thanks. im newbi
post listing: Not your average Desktop Support Analyst

1. Briefly describe how you would migrate a user from a Windows XP OS (any version) to a Windows 7 OS (any version).

2. All users at a certain office are reporting their internet is down. You confirm with the ISP that the line is up and stable. Walk through the next few *remote* troubleshooting steps.

3. Name two of the most effective ways to secure Wi-Fi wireless access. Which would you recommend and why?

4. How does an exchange server interact with Outlook configured for RPC over HTTPs?

5. One user reports she is not receiving emails in Outlook. Other users are receiving emails fine. You check the Exchange server and confirm her mailbox and her user account are in good condition. What are a few common issues to check for on her local computer?

6. A traveling user has Internet connection at his hotel, but he can't connect his laptop to his office using VPN. VPN host at his office is definitely working. What is the most likely reason, and how would you explain this to the user?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So you want us to answer these for you? If YOU want the job then YOU need to answer them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    not really, just learning new stuff , im new
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We use these same questions.

The point of them is to answer without doing research. Not all IT questions have this purpose, but these do. If you don't know the answers, you will have to learn them from experience. I will say that most of them are very easy to get with a simple Google search. Having us give you answers, even for education purposes, won't help you. Finding them on your own is how you learn. No one taught me the answers to any of these questions.

My experience in reading candidates' answers (for pretty much the exact same job this ad is for, but in MN and not NY) is that each question can actually give a lot of insight into their strengths, weakness, and where they're BSing. I prefer the candidates who indicate that they wouldn't be sure and would want to research over those who guess or "****" and get the answer wrong.

#3 in particular is always surprising. Of all the questions, it is the one that pretty much only has one correct answer, yet I see a lot of people get it very wrong.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have intimate knowledge of #6, worked a few years for a hotel chain on their help desk. It's amazing how often people refuse to read instructions.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.