Options

70-640 Training Kit study questions

wdwinn3wdwinn3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is anyone else working through the MCTS Exam 70-640 Self-Paced Training Kit Second Edition from Microsoft Press and accumulating a bunch of unanswered questions? If so, maybe we can help each other . . .

For example, in Case Study 2 of Chapter 7, the last sentence of the scenario on page 383 says "You are not delegated permissions to create or modify Group Policy objects in your organization." I take this to mean that I would not be able to configure any GPO on a Domain Controller, but the answer to the scenario question 2 says to use Restricted Groups, which I believe are only available in the GPO on a Domain Controller.

The question clearly asks "What policy setting should > you < configure . . ." Should I have assumed that a person with higher permission levels would do the policy configuration? If so, I'm in trouble on my upcoming test because I really am lousy at making those kind of assumptions when being tested.

I have plenty of those types of questions! I'll be glad to share what I do know.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    I am currently working on 640 too. I was actually working on it last year, but had to put it on hold for various reasons. It took me a while to get back on track.

If my memory serves me correct, then you should not really worry about how the questions in the training kits are phrased. Because they are generally not phrased like that on the actual exam. The actual exams are much closer to their practice exams (such as Transcender) counter parts than the questions in various books.

Btw, here is a link to the errata for the second edition of that book

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory® Confirmed Errata | O'Reilly Media
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    Thank you for your thoughts. From what I've heard and read, you are right about the questions in the book not being good examples of the questions on the test. I should not have compared the questions in the Training Kit to the actual tests.

My problem is in using these questions for what they were designed for, that is, to help me determine if I've grasped the material presented in the chapter. A lot of concepts in the 70-640 training kit are new to me and I'd like to at least be able to understand the study questions at the end of each chapter. I'm hoping to connect with others who may be able to help with specific questions that come up as I'm studying the Kit.
  • Options
    ssimon01ssimon01 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you guystaken the test yet? I took it today and failed with a 445. Lots of convolutedDNS, DNS command line, and Certificate related questions that I did not coverin my study materials. QuickCrt, itDVDs, PrepLogic, and Transcender.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ssimon01 wrote: »
    Have you guystaken the test yet? I took it today and failed with a 445. Lots of convolutedDNS, DNS command line, and Certificate related questions that I did not coverin my study materials. QuickCrt, itDVDs, PrepLogic, and Transcender.

Sorry to hear about your exam. I am not familiar with QuickCrt or itDVD; are they based on R2? I used the Microsoft Press Self-Paced training for R2, the Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book, and Microsoft's Technet for material. All of those resources did cover DNS with command line and AD CS, as well as AD FS, AD RMS, and AD LDS.

Are you going to try it again?
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    ssimon01ssimon01 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your exam. I am not familiar with QuickCrt or itDVD; are they based on R2? I used the Microsoft Press Self-Paced training for R2, the Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book, and Microsoft's Technet for material. All of those resources did cover DNS with command line and AD CS, as well as AD FS, AD RMS, and AD LDS.

Are you going to try it again?

Thanks.. yes.. I am going for MCITP. I need it before I can start this new Job. Some of the material was R2 but I do have a feeling they changed the test recently. Funny you mention Unleashed. I just ordered that. And was also thinking of the Self-Paced as well. I had maybe one question on AD LDS and a 1 or 2 on AD FS... a few or AD CS. Was crazy cuz I was worried about though more than DNS. None on RMS. It just blew me away.

What date did you pass the test?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Since you have seen the test at least you will know what to study for to improve your score! I haven't taken the test yet, but will be in the next few months as time allows. I like the Second Shot plan that is available now, giving us a chance to fail once without extra cost (and saving the embarrassment of going back to my employer for more money to take the test again!).

I'm using the Self-Paced training kit for now, but going slowly and studying from many other sources like MS Technet if I think I need the extra input. The Self-Paced books have an index in the front that shows what lessons in the book match up with the sections of the test, so you can focus on those that need more study. If you follow this index and the Skills Measured chart on the MS site, at least you may not have any more surprises about what will be covered and their weight.

I was surprised by the breadth of topics jammed into the 70-640 test when I first started studying, and frankly, have never been exposed to much of the material like the AD Federation Services. Other topics I'm familiar with, but just don't have much knowledge about and just need to keep studying until I feel comfortable.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ssimon01 wrote: »
    Thanks.. yes.. I am going for MCITP. I need it before I can start this new Job. Some of the material was R2 but I do have a feeling they changed the test recently. Funny you mention Unleashed. I just ordered that. And was also thinking of the Self-Paced as well. I had maybe one question on AD LDS and a 1 or 2 on AD FS... a few or AD CS. Was crazy cuz I was worried about though more than DNS. None on RMS. It just blew me away.

What date did you pass the test?

Thanks again.

I passed last Monday. I was also surprised by the few questions on additional roles; I expected a lot more. It is a very difficult exam because of the huge amount of information you have to know.

For me I thought the Self-Paced training kit for 2008 R2 was the biggest help. It wasn't 100% thorough, but no book is. It did do a great job of giving me the foundation, and then Technet filled in the gaps. I really like the 2008 R2 Unleashed book, but didn't use it as much for this exam as I thought I would. I will definitely use it at work however.

The Self-Paced book includes practice tests from Measure Up. The questions were easier than the Transcender questions, but the covered material was accurate. If you have Transcender and also use Measure Up, I think it will give you a good idea on where you stand. I scored better using Measure Up, but it also showed me a few weak areas that would have costed me the exam.

I posted my study guides here in the forum. Take a look at them, maybe they will help you out. They are guides I created from the books I used, other peoples study guides, and the various training videos I used.

Good luck.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+