Options

Is Comptia Security+ worth it for fresh grad in my position??

ecy5maaecy5maa Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Let me just first tell you a bit about myself. I have just recently completed my post grad in Computer Science from a university here in Hong Kong. I now want to look for a job, and I have no job experience..so by all means I am a fresh graduate with a post grad degree.

My interests are in Info Sec, but I looked over quite a few certifications/Jobs and most of them require several years of experience. CompTia Security+ seems feasible so I wanted to get some information about it:

1) I have searched a couple of websites detailing certification pre-requisites; they all say its entry level certification but some say its for IT professionals with 2 years experience....so I am not really sure if I am eligible for taking the exam without any experience?

2) I went through a couple of topics here and I understand that the security+ certification will help me get through the door even for general IT jobs like web development etc. How true is that?

3)And lastly, given my background and given that I already have a post grad degree....will a Security+ cert give me an extra edge? Or will it be redundant?

Thank You :)

Comments

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    CompTIA are all pretty much entry level, no experience required to take the test or earn the cert.

Sec+ is a good baseline cert, yes it might be a little redundant with your degree but it's also HR fodder. Without it HR people (whom generally don't know much about IT) might think you aren't qualified. The test is fairly easy, so with a little study you shouldn't have a problem passing.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree with Valsacar. If you have the cash go for it. Darril Gibson's book is excellent on helping you pass. If anything getting the Security+ can be a way to show a future employer you're interested in expanding your knowledge/skillset past your grad degree
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a good entry level cert imo.
  • Options
    ecy5maaecy5maa Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the response folks! :)