Options

any advice for a first time IT Intern Interview

angjen0816angjen0816 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just finished my first year at a community college, majoring in IT with Networking/Helpdesk concentrations. I have an interview next week for the colleges IT department as a year round intern, full time in the summer and part time during the school year. This would be an awesome opportunity for me, but I have a problem of choking during interviews. Other than popping a ***** a half hour before hand, anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Be prepared to discuss your coursework (would be great if you had examples from here), your goals, why you want to work as an intern, your strengths/weaknesses and why they should choose you.

Otherwise, relax and try not to make too much of it. They should not expect you to be an expert, so just show that you are willing to learn, are not an idiot and have decent answers to their questions.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do some research about the company. Be prepared to talk about the company. Find some information you know you can incorporate at some point in the interview like asking a question about something you researched, etc. Also be prepared for the tough questions like “what are your weaknesses / areas you can improve”. Be honest, nobody likes a cliché answer. Dress appropriately and bring updated copies of your resume. Also bring a notepad / notebook to jot down names of the interviewers or information you need to recall.

Don't talk about pay unless they bring up the subject.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    If they ask you any technical questions that you don't know the answers to(which is common), let them know the extent of your knowledge on the subject and the steps that you would take to find the correct answer. With this entry level of a job it isn't about what you know but more how you go about problem solving and learning.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do some research about the company.

And along this line, have a couple questions about the company or the position ready for when they ask if you have any questions.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask them where they see themselves in 5 years.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't show up hung over
    Wear a suit
    Shave
    Be yourself
    Research the company/school

You'll do fine