Options

Can any of you guys tell me what should I fix on my resumen

Can any of you guys tell me what to fix , add or remove from my CV to at least get an internship , I mean I am looking for anything that can help me to be a network engineer I am doing my icnd2 in 1 month but I will really like to start from now if anyone can give me an opportunity .
Thank you for your time.

Objective

To obtain long term employment with a company who has a positive forward outlook, and that will allow me to advance to my full potential.

Professional experience

Technician:
03/2006 – Staten Island Satellite
Responsible for the installation, upgrade, and service of Directv satellite systems.

Field Service Manager
05/2009 Direct Satellite Communications
Deal with escalated customers, processed damage claims, trained employees, performed field safety audits. Was responsible for company vehicle, phone, laptop, and credit cards

Technician:
01/2010
Responsible for the installations, upgrades, and service of DirecTV
satellite systems.
Dispatch
Talking to techs about their route. Getting ETA's for DirecTV's representatives, rescheduling jobs, talking to customers.

Education

Devry University
PCAGE Institute
CCENT Certified ( by Cisco ) Working on my CCNA
SBCA Certified

References
available on request.
Objective

To obtain long term employment with a company who has a positive forward outlook, and that will allow me to advance to my full potential.

Professional experience

Technician:
Responsible for the installation, upgrade, and service of Directv satellite systems.

Field Service Manager
Deal with escalated customers, processed damage claims, trained employees, performed field safety audits. Was responsible for company vehicle, phone, laptop, and credit cards

Technician:
01/2010
satellite systems.
Dispatch
Talking to techs about their route. Getting ETA's for DirecTV's representatives, rescheduling jobs, talking to customers.

Education

Devry University
PCAGE Institute
SBCA Certified

References
available on request.

Comments

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not a fan of how you listed your employment dates. It might cause confusion. Can you upload your resume as a doc or pdf? That way we can see the formatting as well as the content.
  • Options
    luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    Thank you very much for your replay Qord ,. I will update my resumen tomorrow and get back to you with the lates resumen.
    Thank's one more time for your reply.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have zero experience related to network engineering. Since your work experience is not much of an asset, I would put it at the bottom and attempt to minimize how much page real estate they take up.

Also: Put start and end dates, put your most recent roles first, and explain any gaps. The way you organized it makes me wonder if these were short-term gigs or you were fired and unemployed. If you stayed with one company for a couple years or more, that's actually an asset.
    Professional experience

Technician:

Field Service Manager

Technician:
    01/2010
    satellite systems.
    Dispatch
    Devry University
    PCAGE Institute
    SBCA Certified
    If you fear your target audience--people hiring network engineers--won't know what a CCENT is, put the long name (Cisco Certified...) rather than the short name. My first question foryou would be whether any of these are valid. Put dates next to them if they're valid.

Why are DeVry and PCAGE there? Did they teach you anything relevant to network engineering? If yes, list what specialization and classes you took.

All I see on your resume even remotely interesting from a networking perspective is your CCENT. If that is really all you've got, put that at the top. Spell out what protocols it covers. I wouldn't expect much from so little, but that's the best way to go about maximizing your chances anyway.
  • Options
    Network veteran thank you very much for your input Ill fix it better , what Iam thinking is just to keep studying finish my icnd2 and then jump to comptia A+ to see if at least I can get a helpdesk job roll to start , then after that I will start with microsoft certifications, or you think is better to jump to ccnp to get a junior network engineer job, What do you think?
    Thanks
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Toss the objective. Looks better without it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Toss the objective. Looks better without it.
    +1 to this.

If you really don't want to toss it then at least make it grammatically correct.

Also, quit calling it a resumen. If you're applying for a job in the US, nothing is going to get it thrown out quicker than spelling resume wrong.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Rule #1 is never talk about Fight Club. Rule #2 is post the resume in PDF or DOC. Seeing in that way helps a lot.

Agree with most of the stuff already mentioned.

My honest opinion is that you need to start from scratch. Look through here for effective resumes. There are dozens of success stories from folks who gathered input from the board and ended up with a stellar resume. As the group mentioned, get rid if that objective. Start with a professional summary that catches potential employers attention. Search around here and you'll find some examples. Even if you don't have much experience an effective summary will convey how your experience, training and certs can be applied to something IT related.

Work on the experience section. List the previous positions starting form the current/latest one. Right now I can't tell if you are working, unemployed or what. A better way to list the dates would be " 3/2006 - 4/2008" or something to that effect. If you spend considerable time at one of those positions you will definitely gain by listing the duration. If they were contract position or similar make sure you mention that somehow. Finally, make sure verbs are in past tense for old jobs.

Follow networkveteran's advice and include any relevant IT courses you may have taken. I'm not a fan of "working on X cert". If you do include it give a concrete time frame: "Working towards CCNA (expected 8/2012)" or something like that. This shows you have a specific firm goal.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As it stands, there is nothing on this resume except CCENT to motivate a potential employer to give you a consideration for a networking job, and CCENT alone doesn't cut it. You need to address this and redo the resume accordingly.

What is your skillset?

Compile a list of things you know or have done about networks. Have you taken any networking classes? Do you know anything about TCP/IP? Ever configured a home router? Wireless configuration? All of that can be used to beef up the resume slightly. If you have none of that and want to get into networking, then it's time to start the homework.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    Thank you very much guys , the true hurt but is constructive , I think I will better wait to finish my icnd2 that will give me the full ccna certification , then I will work on my cv and I will take all your advises. Thanks one more time.