Options

So they are flying me out for an interview, what does it mean?

otterhaiotterhai Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
forgive my obtuseness, i've been self employed for years.

I guess this means that I'm near the end of the process, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and could tell me what to expect and could help me understand where I actually am in the process? are they still interviewing me, or am I almost hired?

its a security position (SOC), I have several years of IT experience and will finish my degree in networking/ info assurance this summer. just passed security+. I've phone interviewed 2x with HR, one was a pop quiz on networking/cmd line and security. also had a "getting to know you" interview with my potential boss.

from what i can tell its a great young company in a great field and doing well. Has anyone else been in a similar position? how did it go?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been flown out for an interview before. I definitely wouldn't say you are a shoe in at this point, but there is obviously some serious interest. There wasn't anything different from any other interview I've had apart from the whole flying and staying in a hotel piece.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    otterhaiotterhai Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks networker. i've been trying to figure out where i stand with them.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If they're covering travel costs and hotel stay/food, it's not a bad sign. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck on the interview, hopefully it works out well for you. Also hope it's in a physical location that you're comfortable with.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    drsketchdrsketch Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It means that the next person in the interview chain is not in driving distance. It also means you have passed the previous interview levels. Other than that, it means nothing.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It means you are a still being considered, and seriously.

Enjoy the process, good luck
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    i'd agree with the previous commenters, definitely do your best to present yourself in a positive manner.

However, that's pretty damn awesome XD have you fly out for an interview, nice!

so, apart from all the seriousness in such interviews, being careful and being prepared, definitely also try to enjoy the whole experience! =D

good luck!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    you should wear your IT BADASS shirt!

no really, Good luck!
    meh
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Normally it means you are almost hired, maybe competing against one other guy for the spot. Every company is different though and it really is hard to say exactly where you are at, but most likely this is the last step before you find out.

A coworker was telling me once about a consulting company he worked for. He said twice a year they would interview for new positions and had an extensive interview process and you had to have a sponsor within the company. After 4 phone interviews they flew out the top candidates at a ration of 1.5 people for every spot they planned on hiring for and they also flew in every current consultant. After a weekend of dinners and such with everyone the consultants voted and if even one person voted against someone they were not hired.

He said it was an amazing place to work for work/life balance and benefits, the attrition rate was extremely low but the pay just wasn't quite on par.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edit: just realized post was 5 months old..

OP, results?
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ... His post has a timestamp of "05-21-2012 11:21 AM"

You tell me if that was 5 months ago. ;)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens