Options

just feel like I am not learning much as I used to in my role anymore

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I have being in my role for a little over a year,

and I feel I am not growing as much and learning,

do you guys think its time to move on, I told people in my company and requested more work etc, but not much challenging stuff.

have you guys felt like this please share your experience.

Comments

• Options
    The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't try to look for a new job if you've only been at your current place for year (unless it's contract work). Try to see if you can take on more responsibilities and or projects. Or try to see if you shadow one of your co-workers so that you can learn from them.

Do you have any certs? What City/State do you live in?
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im a one man band, so i have none i could learn from icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What about projects?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's a tough position. The year mark is when you will often find yourself in this position. My recommendation is always to shoot for two years before moving on, but you can swing a year and a half. Just make it to that 18 month mark. Anything in the six to 15 month range looks really bad IMO. Less than six and you can at least say it was a really bad fit for pretty much any reason. Six to 15 and it looks like you're job hopping. At the 20 month and on mark, it at least looks like you're looking to stay a while at a given job. Those are my guidelines, anyway. I think most will agree that 12 months is really the wrong time to leave.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm thinking projects too. What is it that you do?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Creative time! Down time is a fantastic thing in the office and can be a blessing based on your perspective.

If I have downtime, in a one man band position, I lab new deployment technologies, new baseline testing methods, new scripting of old tasks, etc. The list is endless. How can you better your companies current network? Take advantage of your situation and take it upon yourself to learn and grow. Both you and your company will benefit from it.

Of course, if you're in a situation where new ideas and streamlining is unwelcome, hold out as long as you can, but consider your options. Again though, take the downtime to learn new technologies or solidify your knowledge to an SME level.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    For me,

downtime + supportive director + not being broke = Endless project/upgrade ideas.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???