Options

70-642 this Friday

relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed my 70-640 a while back, I am scheduled to take the 70-642 this weekend. I have read the ExamCram book and am pretty confident as an admin. However this particular test scares me a little, actual networking (routing, subnetting, etc) is my weaker suite, I am more of a sys admin.

With that, beyond the book I have looked at some of the links in the 70-642 sticky thread. Any other suggestions, should I just go at it and hope for the best?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you confident with DNS and Group Policy, I had more than a few questions on these two topics. Had a couple on subnetting too, perhaps delay the test by a week or so and brush up on your weaker areas. I wouldnt blow $200 on a test if there wasnt a free second shot. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I just cleared the exam yesterday, I would say its is pretty straight forward. After completing the MCTS Study Guide and CBT Nuggets I was facing some problems with a few topics like Direct Access/DNS/IPSec so try for other resources like Windows R2 Unleashed and Technet.
    I would like to add that I had the same concerns as you, I was scared of Networking and subnetting (which is why I didnt start my certification with CCNA :p) but some extra time with CBT Nuggets doing the exercises really helped me get over this phobia. To tell the truth I was studying for this exam for some time now and as I was scared of networking I over-prepared. My only suggestion is, try out as many sample exams as possible to check your problem areas and then work on them.
    Best of luck!
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im studying for my 642 at the moment however i just passed my ICND1 a few weeks ago which is helped me with routing and subnetting. I agree with pumbaa if you get a free second shot then go for it, if not i would delay till you are confident. if you have access to CBT nuggets watch the videos on subnetting.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Know your IP6 be able to look at a IPV6 address and know what address scope it is Link Local, Multicast ect...
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    botbot Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When i did the 70-642 exam the majority off my exam was arround DNS, Subnetting and GPO's

Best of Luck and looking forward to see the Passed message next week! :)
  • Options
    Unfortunately I don't have access to CBT nuggets though I might be able to get my company to pay for 24 hours of access. I read through a bunch of the links in the 70-642 sticky to technet stuff and will keep going through the practice tests in the ExamCram book.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am also study this monster, I have Exam Cram and the MS Press book and Unleashed R2. Many say the Eaxm Cram is too weak for a pass and to use it as supplemental resource only. Please let us know how you go.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    I just finished and I failed icon_sad.gif I got a 612. I would agree that ExamCram is not sufficent for the test. It does not cover any R2 features and I got a few questions I had no clue on.

Im thinking about getting this set any thoughts

http://amzn.com/0735663270