Get your CCNA for only 27k!!!

University of Phraud at it again...Associate of Arts in Information Technology with a concentration in Cisco Networking - University of Phoenix

i feel sorry for the poor chaps who fall for this. best part is... they only "prepare" you for the certification. i'm not sure if they even provide you a voucher for the exam(s).
Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)

Comments

• MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    OUCH! A local community college will teach you a lot more for less.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    hell, I'll teach it over webex for 12,500 with 10% off :)
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    @drkat LOL no kidding! I know apart of the process is to obtain a degree but at that price it's ridiculous.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really do feel bad for anyone that doesn't know any better and goes for that. Absolutely ridiculous.
  • luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    The best and cheaper way is doing it by yourself ( now motivation is the key here) I did it like that and still do. There is a lot of materials on the web , also you find some sims like boson that really guide you step by step , books , youtube ect ect.icon_study.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sad part is that many will bite.
  • a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be sure to sign up soon, they raise the tuition per credit rate by $15.00 and e-materials fees by $5.00 on 7/1/12. Don't worry though, there's no application fee. Amazing.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like everyone has said, people will bite. Those individuals will probably google "CCNA salary", then find misleading salary figures "Average salary for someone holding the certification 65K". It's a shame.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow.

Got my studies for free (reimbursed) but cost my company around 6 grand for my degree lol.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Yikes...I think the 3 courses the local community college here offers are like $150 per semester...maybe more but not by much
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took mine back in 2001 and forgot it all by 2002, still saved myself 26750 dollars though lol.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    or for 2k-3k you can join a cisco network academy....
    meh
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    For that much money you can make an AMAZING lab.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL

You could earn a PhD in some countries for that kind of money and even still have some left over for a vacation
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You guys should see the tuition at ITT...
  • jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The point of a private company is to increase shareholder wealth. Well, here ya go.

icon_study.gif
    I just looked at the tuition for ITT and HOLY LORD that is just ridiculous! Tuition at my school is $338.50 an hr for on campus, and $358 an hr for online. If I am looking at the right PDF ITT charges $493?!
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    $27K would be enough to buy books, lab equipment, and exam vouchers for the CCNA, CCNP, and the CCIE. Those three would be worth more than a A.A. in the end.

Four semesters at UC Berkeley is still cheaper than a A.A. at UoP and many B&M schools have online options these days. I don't want to step on the toes of anyone who did go to these for-profit schools and ended up succeeding. I admire anyone who was able to go into these institutions and take what they need out of them, but in most cases, those people are the exception to the rule.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do agree that UOPs current pricing is (generally) not worth defending; however the thread title should be changed. It's an Associate's degree, not just prep for a Cisco certification. Is 27k still overpriced for an Associate's from UOP? Yes, but that's another matter completely. As always, UOP got it right with the CONCEPT (Integrating deep understanding within a degree program...Isn't that what we knock some CS grads for anyway? Not having a deep understanding of a specific topic?). But have cranked the pricing up so high imo it simply isn't worth it in most cases.

I think the real issue with the stand-alone CCNA certification UOP offers is that it is an online program for most campuses. Why pay thousands of dollars if you're essentially self-teaching? You'd basically be paying huge money for a Lammle book and a Facilitator to ask you pre-determined questions. IMO the way to do it is to put Cisco Network Academy Instructors in a classroom with a pre-determined physical lab that is distrubuted to the campuses for the Students to get hands-on time with. That's the least you can offer Students for that amount of money.

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Insanity. I feel bad for people who lock into that deal.

@ Phoeneous I know man. A friend/co worker did the bachelors in security, and owes over 100,000 from ITT. I went to a brick and mortar with meal plans and dorms the first two years for cheaper than that.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Patel128 wrote: »
    For that much money you can make an AMAZING lab.

You can make "THE LAB"

Actually a my MS in Network Security is somewhat that 27-30k
    MS > AA
    meh
    I was looking and to get most of the degrees from there it is about 180 hours, whereas most B&M degrees are in the 100-130 range (from what I've seen).
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading: