Options

Leaving a steady job for a new challenge, anxiety

dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
Hi all,
I have a second interview for a job that looks like a good opportunity to learn a lot of new stuff, more money the works.
The company seems great Sunday Times top 100 small business to work for etc.
Problem is I know I'm a pretty safe in my current position although I don't think I'll learn much more here.
I'm starting to get second thoughts now "what if it doesn't work out and I end up jobless" "what if I don't like it"icon_rolleyes.gif
My biggest fear is not making it past the probationary period and messing my C.V up.
Has anybody else experienced this?
How do you get past it?
Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally do not get this feeling about new jobs but you need to calm down sir/miss :D! There has to be a reason why you're leaving your current company, right? I totally feel for you about feeling "safe" in a role but you need to get out there and mix it up, change is a good thing!..well as long as change isn't happening every 6 months lol

If they hired you, it mean's they saw something in you that could help their company. Once you get hired, like you said, there should be some type of learning period (3,6,12 months?). But hey, what if it goes the other way and you don't like the job? Leaving a company after a short time will only hurt you if you do it often, so don't be afraid to look for a new job if you don't like it. You could easily tell the next company that the job was not the right fit, but if you had about 6 jobs for less than a year in the past4-6 years..well that would be a bigger issue.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I have been in my current role for around 2 years and previous to that was 5 years so I guess I'm just not used to it.
    Thanks for the advice its really the recession that is worrying me more than anything.
    The company do seem quite keen and have said I wouldn't be chucked straight in at the deep end like I was with my current job and previous one.
    Its in managed services which I believe is the future of IT.
    I am a man but I realize I probably sound like a womanicon_redface.gif
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LOL, not at all. I just didn't want to call you a she or he specifically, and then have you be the opposite..awkward lol

Did you received an offer already? If the company seems good and you know for sure they won't throw you in with the wolves, then it sounds like a good move to me.
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are you learning anything new in your current place?

if not, no point to stay,

i am kinda going through the same thing.
  • Options
    LOL, not at all. I just didn't want to call you a she or he specifically, and then have you be the opposite..awkward lol

Did you received an offer already? If the company seems good and you know for sure they won't throw you in with the wolfs, then it sounds like a good move to me.

I'm just joking icon_lol.gif
    Not exactly, I spoke to the agency who is doing the hiring on their behalf they said that feedback was very positive with only one negative that I can easily sort.
    They said it would probably be around 12 months providing I get the position before I am thrown to the wolves. +
    healthyboy wrote: »
    are you learning anything new in your current place?

if not, no point to stay,

i am kinda going through the same thing.

No, not at all I can study as I'm left to my own devices but I do get interrupted a lot.
    Its more that the job is mind numbing that is the issue.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Accept the new challenge, what's the worse that could happen? you can always find a new, better, job. Good luck.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Well, I went for my interview and it went well.
    Did extremely well apparently on the technical exam which surprised me.
    Will keep you updated
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Scary, did we go to the same interview?

Yesterday, I went to interview at a big multinational corporation after working for a municipal government agency for the past eleven years. I just graduated with my BS and wanted to see what it was worth, in conjunction with my experience. Apparently, quite a lot. I thought I bombed the technical interview, but I guess I passed muster.

I'm worried about leaving the place I've been for over a decade, but deep down I know that if I don't do this, I'll never grow as a professional and I'll be stuck in a job I don't feel respected in for the rest of my life.

Best of luck to you.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    That's something that you'll pretty much have to go through everytime you change jobs(unless you get laid off or fired). Just remember, if it doesn't work out you can always find a different new challenge. As long as you're marketable it shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    Scary, did we go to the same interview?

Yesterday, I went to interview at a big multinational corporation after working for a municipal government agency for the past eleven years. I just graduated with my BS and wanted to see what it was worth, in conjunction with my experience. Apparently, quite a lot. I thought I bombed the technical interview, but I guess I passed muster.

I'm worried about leaving the place I've been for over a decade, but deep down I know that if I don't do this, I'll never grow as a professional and I'll be stuck in a job I don't feel respected in for the rest of my life.

Best of luck to you.

No the company I have interviewed to isn't multinational AFAIK.
    I agree with your attitude and its kind of how I feel.
    From what I have gathered unless I don't bother turning in or my punctuality sucks I should be OK if I put the effort in, which I will.
    Good luck to yourself and be sure to post back and let us know how you get on.
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    That's something that you'll pretty much have to go through everytime you change jobs(unless you get laid off or fired). Just remember, if it doesn't work out you can always find a different new challenge. As long as you're marketable it shouldn't be an issue.

Very true.
    icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    breannaallbreannaall Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's good to be nervous, usually you will put all that effort into the new job and be great at it!
  • Options
    breannaall wrote: »
    It's good to be nervous, usually you will put all that effort into the new job and be great at it!

This is a great point.
  • Options
    Didn't get the position after all.
    Lack of knowledge about exchange was what killed me.
    Still I made it to the last 3 so that must count for something.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dazl1212 wrote: »

Always good to keep your interview skills sharp. You'll get the next one.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Always good to keep your interview skills sharp. You'll get the next one.

Thanks icon_thumright.gif
    Have to knuckle down and get that CCENT I Have been after for so long
  • Options
    How would I go about getting the experience for Exchange and AD?
    Every job I have thought about applying for lists these as necessary skills so I don't bother applying.
    Would maybe just doing a little reading up and labbing be enough?
    Or would I just have to hope someone takes a chance on me?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Setup a home lab and get the certification
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What's your current position? See if there is anything you can do to help out your Exchange administrator. Stick your nose in, offer to do the more trivial Exchange tasks if you can, offer to document some processes and then take some of the boring stuff of their hands and free their time up to do more interesting things while you get some Exchange experience.
  • Options
    clarknova wrote: »
    What's your current position? See if there is anything you can do to help out your Exchange administrator. Stick your nose in, offer to do the more trivial Exchange tasks if you can, offer to document some processes and then take some of the boring stuff of their hands and free their time up to do more interesting things while you get some Exchange experience.
    Its just basic network and PC configuration for small ANPR car park systems.
    Its not really an option to be honest as the team who does the exchange administrations are based in a different office.
    As for getting the cert I am in the middle of my CCENT so I doubt I'd be able to take on doing to difficult certs at the same time.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    dazl1212 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that, I am in a similar situation as you. Not really learning anything at my current job and to be honest just not happy with my job overall. I'm still waiting to hear back to see if I got a job that I interviewed for which was down to the top 3 candidates.

Just keep looking, something else will come along.
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Drovor wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, I am in a similar situation as you. Not really learning anything at my current job and to be honest just not happy with my job overall. I'm still waiting to hear back to see if I got a job that I interviewed for which was down to the top 3 candidates.

I'm in this boat as well. Since we were bought out by a large company, much of the "heavy lifting" gets done at the corporate office. My skills are suffering as a result, but I'm getting paid very well. Once I finish my BS I'm going to start shopping for a new gig that I can get my hands dirty on again.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    BigMevy wrote: »
    I'm in this boat as well. Since we were bought out by a large company, much of the "heavy lifting" gets done at the corporate office. My skills are suffering as a result, but I'm getting paid very well. Once I finish my BS I'm going to start shopping for a new gig that I can get my hands dirty on again.

Good plan you have there. At least you are getting paid well in the mean time and the degree will help in your job searching. My department went from being mainly contractors to being handled by an outsourcing company which in turn forced me to be either unemployment or take almost a 50% pay cut. Since I couldn't find another job at the time I stuck with the job. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    BigMevy wrote: »
    I think I'll just aim for my CCENT and eventually my CCNA and maybe just try and get the basics of AD and Exchange down in the meantime.
    I found an excuse for setting up a WDS server at work which will obviously need AD on it
  • Options
    Drovor wrote: »

Thank you. I hope so, its so annoying when you are given the impression you will be able to progress and it doesn't happen
  • Options
    The exchange thing happened againicon_cry.gif
    Is there a quick low level course on exchange I could do?
    I really don't want to have to do an MCP or MCTS etc in at.
    Problem is all the jobs around here need exchange knowledge and there is no way I can get it in my current role.
    I would rather get into networking but that isnt going to happen as there never seems to be NOC jobs around where I live (NW England)
  • Options
    bump!!icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    Priorities. If you can't job a job without Exchange knowledge, and you know you can't get into networking, why are you focusing on the CCENT instead of learning Exchange?

For a smal/medium size company, Exchange can be relatively simple to setup and configure. TrainSignal has a really good serie on Exchange 2010 that will surely help you out.
  • Options
    Yeah you make a good tbh. Is the Microsoft cert in Exchange difficult?
    The reason I ask is that there are a few jobs around my way that require a CCNA so if the Exchange cert is equally as difficult as the CCNA I may as well just do that. Although that would mean being stuck here till Ive done that and I have struggled with the CCNA.
    But its whether I would need the cert as I have acquired the Exchange for dummies book and the AD for dummies book and they are both around 300 pages so should cover the basics and maybe with a bit of labbing that would get me into a reasonable position.
    Thoughts anybody?
  • Options
    Does anybody think this would be worth doing as well?
    [h=1]Exam 98-365:
    [/h][h=2]Windows Server Administration Fundamentals[/h]
    For an overview of Active Directory
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I've been feeling anxiety a lot lately the past two days. I'm planning on leaving a steady job were everyone likes me, I got awarrds for my work, and I do well in the Server realm for the past two years (the company I work for though is not so nice as the clients I have).

Now I'm taking up a whole new role (not in servers and its something I do like but have not done in two years) so I've been brushing up on it. Its not difficult, and like I siad my past experience helps because I remember a bunch of stuff once I do some basic research. Its just scary jumping from something you've been doing for a bit to something new / new co workers / new living area.

Though I think most of my anxiety comes from my past because my first job out of college within three months they let me go (the environment was really bad and I was even messing up the basic of things because of it). Then I got the job that I'm currently doing and I ace it (were the environment is great and not as stressful as the last).