RHCSA basic queries.

deepseadeepsea Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am a great fan of linux/RHEL/SELS. I have mostly worked on SLES for quite a few years now planing to get into RHEL certification starting with RHCSA and then RHCE, going forward.

P.S: I am quite confused on RHCSA cert and require some tips or help. I am sorry if these questions are already asked ealier.

1. How many questions are asked for RHCSA exam ? I know exam is rated for 300 pts, so does each question carry equal points/marks ?
2. Is it advisable to use tools / GUI to provide solutions ? Is the networking pre-configure for the VM ?
3. Are we given a RHEL6 installed on a physical box or is it a VM using KVM ? In case its a KVM is it preinstalled with the GUI/GNOME/X Windows ? If do require to install additional rpms, do we have access to a RHEL6 ISO image available ? Is RHN updates configured on the VM ?
4. I have been told RHCSA exam costs around $400 in US, but in SYD its around $730 AUD, is this correct ? If so, why this disparity for exam costs ?
5. I am trying to find some exam dates for June/July between US/SYD & BLR. As I dont know where I would be around that time, but sure I would like to finish it off during this time frame ? Can someone please share and link for finding the exam dates.
6. Is it a good idea to practice for RHCSA on VirtualBox ?

All suggestions are welcome and would be really appreciated. Appologize if I have asked too many questions.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Deep

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

Most questions could be answered by reading the official website in regards to the exam

Red Hat | Training | Red Hat Certified System Administrator
    Red Hat | Training | Exam objectives

#1 none .. it is purely performance based
    #2 Whatever is needed for you to perform a specific task .. considering the time issue though you should learn how to use the terminal
    #3 Makes no difference. Shouldn't anyway. Probably physical as the tasks include poweroff / reboot / network config etc.
    #4 If unsure - ask : training@redhat.com
    #5 See #4
    #6 Again, makes no difference, as long as you can study the objectives given above
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • deepseadeepsea Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Thanks @jibbajabba

I have no issue using the terminal as I am a kernel developer from the last 10 years. I have to get these certificate for organizational needs. I know its a performance based practical exam, but for sure we are a given a list of tasks for accomplishing within 2.5 hours. I would like to know generally how many questions/tasks are given to be accomplished within the stipulated time period.

I am going through RHCSA/RHCE book by Michael Jang. Its an excellent book. But are the practice exams included in the book close to what we see in the real exam (RHCSA) on D-day, in terms of difficulty and in terms of number of questions/tasks ?

Best wishes. Thanks.
  • ronni_linuxronni_linux Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm wondering about the same question @deepsea, going through M.Jang's book, it's great btw
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Check it out, no one is going to answer these questions. If you do some digging on the web I'm sure you can find some inference, but Red Hat is serious about their NDA and they don't let people talk about any part of the exam. Period. They will actually litigate, from what I've heard.

So, if you can answer the end of chapter questions in Jang's book, you should be good to go. I have the impression that there is enough time to do some man page look ups if need be, but otherwise you can figure them on giving you enough tasks to fill up 2 hours.

Have a read over this: https://www.redhat.com/training/courses/ex200/

ETA: I would personally use KVM as it's RHEL's default virtualization solution.

Also, for exam dates, have a look here, but be careful classes can be cancelled at a moments notice: https://www.redhat.com/courses/ex200_rhcsa_exam/enroll/
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • ronni_linuxronni_linux Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    Check it out, no one is going to answer these questions. If you do some digging on the web I'm sure you can find some inference, but Red Hat is serious about their NDA and they don't let people talk about any part of the exam. Period. They will actually litigate, from what I've heard.

So, if you can answer the end of chapter questions in Jang's book, you should be good to go. I have the impression that there is enough time to do some man page look ups if need be, but otherwise you can figure them on giving you enough tasks to fill up 2 hours.

Have a read over this: https://www.redhat.com/training/courses/ex200/

ETA: I would personally use KVM as it's RHEL's default virtualization solution.

Also, for exam dates, have a look here, but be careful classes can be cancelled at a moments notice: https://www.redhat.com/courses/ex200_rhcsa_exam/enroll/

Thanks for the input man!