Options

can i roll up my sleeves for a job interview?

noobsrevengenoobsrevenge Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Clearly I am trying to impress, I am dressed sharp, slacks and a button down shirt, then I thought to myself, I'm a little hot, can I roll my sleeves up or does that look poor?

Interview in an hour =\ kinda miss phone interviews

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Absolutely not.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm with SteveLord on this one, I would advise against rolling up your sleeves.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Sweat it out, you definitely don't want to send the wrong message before you even get in the door.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    noobsrevengenoobsrevenge Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well alrighty, glad I avoided that blunder icon_redface.gif

Thanks.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I understand your pain , I hate wearing button downs and when I have to I always end up with the sleeves rolled up...most of the time I don't even realize I did it.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i definitely would not do that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No sir. In fact, I would recommend wearing a suit and tie instead. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jinuyr wrote: »
    No sir. In fact, I would recommend wearing a suit and tie instead. icon_twisted.gif

That one ... ^^
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    If the interview involves a boxing match, a flu shot or the interviewer wanting to see a really awesome tattoo you have.......then I guess I would go there. :D
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If the interview is going south I say roll shirt and pants. Should be fun icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, keep those sleeves down if you want the job.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    i would'nt do it
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Not to derail the thread, but it's on the same subject of appearance.

What's the verdict on men with shoulder-length hair? Get a hair-cut?
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have well-groomed whatever-length hair, an interviewer should be okay with it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always suite and tie for me, has not failed me yet!!! <I normaly keep my jacket on, coz I also roll sleeves>:)
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Echoing the suit too, for any level of job. Even if suit won't be my daily dress attire, I like to show a potential employer that I can dress to impress
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I disagree with the suit-no-matter-what attitude. Suits are expensive, first off. And if it's a job you're going to be wearing jeans for, then dressing up from that is business casual. Always dress up from what the actual daily dress of the job would be. But I've worn khakis and a button down and gotten the job. One time I wore a sweater and got the job. You want to dress nicely and be presentable but beyond that I think it's relative to the position.
  • Options
    zenhound wrote: »
    I disagree with the suit-no-matter-what attitude. Suits are expensive, first off. And if it's a job you're going to be wearing jeans for, then dressing up from that is business casual. Always dress up from what the actual daily dress of the job would be. But I've worn khakis and a button down and gotten the job. One time I wore a sweater and got the job. You want to dress nicely and be presentable but beyond that I think it's relative to the position.

Methinks you didn't have much competition then to begin with. You should always give yourself an edge when you can. And a suit that is suitable for job interviews does not need to cost you a lot of money.

Like it or not, the suit is the standard.
  • Options
    Methinks people who say methinks are weird.

You can say it's the standard, and in general it may be a good idea. But for an entry level position? Not that big a deal. And guess what, I saw my competition and they were wearing suits! Holy crap! I mean, honestly, if you have one candidate who interviews like a champ and wears appropriate business attire and another who is a mediocre interview but has a suit on, you're going to hire the suit? Then you're wrong. Period.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Agree with the suit being standard (unless specifically asked not to wear one). A suit perfectly fitted will look awesome, no matter if it is a $3k Ermenegildo Zegna or a cheap $150 Stafford from JCPenney.

This is one of those issue that no one will ever agree on. Some of us like suits and think they are the defacto standards business attire. Others think as zenhoud. There's no universal solution. Will the suit be a determining factor? Maybe. Having been involved in hiring I always expected a suit. If you showed up in khakis, long sleeve and tie, good. Now, the guy who showed up wearing a polo, unacceptable given our environment. My point is some things are preferred, others OK, and some plain wrong. It all depends on the environment.
  • Options
    johnstegjohnsteg Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea this is the killer;it depends on the job,and what you would be required during your work.for me i have gone for an interview with gens a t-shirt and got the job.i think the criteria,is this be presentable for them to conduct the interview;next know the stuff....and you will get the job.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    F it.. wear jeans and show em how cool and non-conforming you are.
  • Options
    zenhound wrote: »
    Methinks people who say methinks are weird.

You can say it's the standard, and in general it may be a good idea. But for an entry level position? Not that big a deal. And guess what, I saw my competition and they were wearing suits! Holy crap! I mean, honestly, if you have one candidate who interviews like a champ and wears appropriate business attire and another who is a mediocre interview but has a suit on, you're going to hire the suit? Then you're wrong. Period.

I think you're missing the point. The best reason to wear one is so that when you are compared to other candidates of similar qualifications, you will at least be more confident in your appearance when having worn one. If you think employers would never toss you for not wearing one, think again.

Yes, it is entirely possible that it can be overlooked. But it also possible that it will not be.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Agree with the suit being standard (unless specifically asked not to wear one). A suit perfectly fitted will look awesome, no matter if it is a $3k Ermenegildo Zegna or a cheap $150 Stafford from JCPenney.

+1 I rock the $150 suit from JCPenny and it has worked out just fine :D

A suit is an investment in your future. Do yourself a favor and suck it up buttercup. Buy one and let one less thing be a reason why you're not hired.
  • Options
    What you really should be doing is matching the attire you expect the people interviewing you to be wearing. If it's a suit environment, then yes definitely you need to wear one. If everyone's wearing jeans and you wear a suit, you're going to feel like a tool and it can throw you off. I've had that interview, which is when I stopped insisting on a suit. If you don't know the environment at all then suit is safer, but if you don't know the environment at all, you are ill-prepared for your interview.