Options

Upcoming Interview

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have an upcoming interview for a Junior Network Engineer Position. It seems like they are placing a LOT of emphasis on what knowledge I have with firewalls. I really don't have any experience other than understanding the structure of configuring access controls for blocking or allowing specific content via ports, etc. Can you all give me some pointers on some other areas I could brush up on? Thanks
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is a listing of the job description: I need to be able to talk about firewalls it would seem in depth.

Required Skills and/or Product Knowledge:
    · 1-3 years of general network support experience
    · General knowledge of firewall administration (Checkpoint and Netscreen preferred)
    · General knowledge of switching and routing commands (Cisco preferred)
    · Entry level knowledge of any of the following protocols OSPF, EIGRP, HSRP, VLAN, and TCP/IP
    · History of documented troubleshooting skills relating to desktops, servers, network or firewalls
    · Experience troubleshooting and maintaining various types of cabling
    · Ability to create and/or maintain Visio Network diagrams
    · Follow-up and attention to detail with great customer service skills
    · Professional, responsible attitude and work independently
    · Extensive written documentation (processes, user guides)
    · Strong verbal and written communication skills
    · Ability to work with remote, matrixed teams
    · Ability to work effectively in a team, and with clients
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel like from the position summary you might be OK because it doesn't say that Checkpoint and Netscreen knowledge is required. firewall are generally pretty simple to setup, the hardest part IMO is knowing the concepts ACL's, ports, etc.. and understanding what not to do. CCNA knowledge is definitely going to help you. other then that the position summary doesn't seem to intense, after all it is going to be a junior position and dont be afraid to say I dont know.
    Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    If you think firewall will be an emphasis, make sure you are aware of what security level are and how they affect traffic for Cisco firewall. Check Points are GUI based for the most part so it's relatively easy to pick up. Seems like an entry level position so you should be fine.