Options

First attempt at 70-680 - FAILED

techguyrvatechguyrva Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I decided to take my first Microsoft exam yesterday and I bombed! icon_redface.gif I took the 70-680 Windows 7, Configuring exam. I scored a 525. I went into the exam with way too much confidence because I have worked as an IT professional for about 8 years now and have configured and deployed Windows 7 successfully. I was wrong. That was the hardest certification exam I have ever attempted.

I have decided to start over and read my training materials front to back. Even if I feel like I know a topic I'm going to read it anyway.

For anyone that has successfully passed 70-680...what training materials did you find to be most helpful?

Comments

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Professor Messer videos on Youtube. Lab along with his videos. And here's my notes, I recommend memorizing them: Microsoft 70-680 notes, Configuring Windows 7

It's a hard test so don't beat yourself up, I failed it twice.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad you are getting back on the horse, it seems many people fail the MS exams first or even second go. They must be some of the hardest out there from what I have read. Let us know how you go next time round, and thanks for feedback on the exam.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally used the Dan Poulton book, CBT nuggets and labbed as much as I could. It was a dang hard test, but I passed it on my first try. But then I did take several months of studying, labbing, testing, and making sure I knew as much of it forwards and backwards before I sat the exam.
  • Options
    NB4LNB4L Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've used the Self-Paced training books from M$. My cousin has used the CBT nuggets. Virtualbox/Vmware labs ftw...
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    I will be taking this tomorrow, did anything surprise you on the test, anything that I should prepare myself for? Also did you study at all?
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Mstavrdis The only thing that suprised me a little is that they actually had a couple of subnetting questions on mine...luckily I have been studying for CCENT simultaneously and wasn't too challenging. But don't be surprised if there is a few simple questions on designating IP addresses for example.

@TC It happens to the best of us. I walked in the testing room with ultimate confidence because I studied for the test for at least 5 months (on and off). You will get it next time! So will I!
  • Options
    Will they be hitting anything like directaccess or anything like that?
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes they might have one or two questions with DirectAccess, best advice is to know which version of Windows supports those extra features such as DirectAccess, BitLocker, AppLocker, and BrancheCache....
  • Options
    enterprise.... did i pass?
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    It was hard certification and i used the MS-Book and CBT nuggets. Keep working at it. Practice makes perfect as lame as it sounds. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    you WILL pass it the second time. Now you know what you are walking in to and you wont be ambushed. Good luck!
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Keep your head up mate. This exam is not to be taken lightly. However, it is not impossible. Use the Don Poulton book along with the Prof. Messer video's and technet. This should be all you need. Make sure you do LOTS of labs.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    how many questions is on this test. I heard it's like 35 and adaptive..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.