Options

CISCO CCT - Entry Level (review)

antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
My employer is a CISCO partner so given all the perks we get I thought I'd take this exam (and I was just curious). I bought the course for $299 and sat down to see what it's like. To be fair I'm past the entry level stage of routing so I might have had some advantage.

This is a great little entry level exam. The CISCO course (online) is a bit monotonous at times but you can stop/start it as you need. If you have network experience it'll take you a week of study to pass this.

The course starts with a primer on basic networking & then moves into a description of CISCO equipment, a bit about the CLI (basic commands) and finally about how to connect to to a switch/router (modem, IP, serial cable, etc). You'll learn the difference between a 6500 series switch versus a 4500. It'll teach you basic stuff (supervisor engine, HWIC) and which switch is meant for what environment and why. If someone was to ask you "log into that switch, tell me what modules are installed & what the serial numbers are" you'd have that knowledge by the end of the class. Pretty basic stuff, but good stuff to know. It also reviews some basic networking commands (which you already know).

As for the crossover of this with the CCENT, not so much. This is an exam that focuses on CISCO hardware (routers, switches, supervisor engines, modules, HWIC). As exams go, it's a great foundation exam & would make a great entry level exam for those of you who want to learn CISCO.