Options

CCNP next, then what? Need help with goal setting

f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
A quick introduction:

I'm a network engineer that enjoys Virtualization, Network Security, and IT Strategy (Possibly CIO type stuff). Ever since the beginning of my career I set goals for certs and then as soon as I arrive I set another goal, etc...

Well, I think I'm at a fork in the road here after I get my CCNP. I have a bachelor's in networking and have gotten all my other certifications that I have really wanted to get.

I plan on getting my CCNP by the end of this year and then... look at master's programs? Has anyone taken any of the online IT master's programs out there, and do you actually get anything out of it? I'm just concerned that the material will be out-dated or not applicable. What about an MBA, for pursuing becoming a CIO?

I guess I'm just looking for ideas and what others have done in this situation. It seems that I'm changing my mind every week on what I want to do... I don't really want to go for CCIE, I enjoy being a well-rounded IT person.

Thoughts? Career counseling? lol

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You kind of jumped there from the first part to CIO.

Honestly what do you want to do? You don't just get you CCNP and MBA and then become a CIO. There are few steps in between.

First off do you enjoy managing people? Do you like technology still?

Write your interest out and then start to sift through them eventually coming to a conclusion. You sound like a smart person with a lot of skills. How do you want to leverage those skills? You have more technical knowledge than I will ever have. Lot's of time and money invested in your career.

Chose wisely.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    First off, I just want to say that I admire your list of certifications.

Second off, are you sure you are passionate about being a CIO? I know there is a lot of money to be made in C-level management positions, but many times, the "fun" technical part is taken out of the job and you're dealing with enormous amounts of politics. To the technically minded person, often the extra money isn't worth it if your job isn't fun.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Iris exactly

To come back from the CIO thought, the masters might not be a bad idea. For some it's a great way to continue their studies for others it's a cost and nothing more. You will have to make that decision obviously. I think you are in the right thought of mind. Maybe a manager over a networking group in a large scale company. That might be a reasonable step and one that will answer a lot of questions. You will surely garner the respect from the troops with your networking knowledge. That's where an MBA could come into play though, because they aren't the ones paying the bills. So while you speak tech talk or networking, you will need to understand business objects and initatives.

A lot depends on your aptitude and how easy you can achieve goals. I hate say it but some of us it takes a lot longer. Time is money and time is a constraint. If you feel you can get through an MBA without effecting your life greatly, go for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I guess it's true I didn't realize you can't just "jump" into a CIO position LOL. I guess I would probably need to manage a network team for awhile before I'd be ready for that. I was always under the impression that CIOs don't manage people as much as the big picture for the corporations information technology. But I'm seeing a bit of people management out of my current CIO...

In that case an MBA could definitely help with developing the management skills and show that I know how to manage a team when I go to apply for a job down the road. OK well I guess my problem I'm realizing is whether or not I want to go down the management route, or go for more infosec. And that my friends, is something that I will have to sit back and think about for awhile. I might have to do some socializing with some people who do both. I'm thinking that will be the best way to tell me which one I'd like the most.

I enjoy strategy and design. That's why I thought CIO was something that I could enjoy. Hmmm.....
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    No offense, but from your post, you seem to lack the proper planning and foresight to even be considered for a CIO position. If you like strategy and design, architecture could be a good fit.
  • Options
    None taken ;) . I can take criticism. Good info there, I hadn't thought of it like that. Maybe going towards network/IT architecture would be something for me to look into.