Options

one man band at work?

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
are there any one man bands here in the forum. By one man band i mean where you are in a role where you are the sole i.t person,

if so share your stories

also is it hard? And how long have you being in the role and in i.t

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Used to be. It wasn't that hard. It was about 85% boredom, 15% stress. The first few months it's a lot of work, but it will generally drop off after that.

Most organizations that only need one IT guy should be using a managed service provider. Even if the business is in that very small size range at which one guy makes more sense than an MSP, the overall experience should still be better with a good MSP.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    /raises hand. I enjoy the independence for the most part. I am rarely bored as I regularly have projects going on. Next month I'll have been in IT for 6 years
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm the only IT staff member covering three cities. I'm backed by others who cover different cities and by a large infrastructure on the west coast, but in my area I'm the only guy. I'm only supporting about 70 people, but with all of the devices and applications sometimes it feels like 5,000 - I'm stretched pretty thin all the time. I do like it though.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'm in there too. IT in my company consists of a Sr. Software Engineer and myself.

Stories... Well, you name it, I cover it. That spans from servers, data storage, and DR to firewalls, packet monitoring, and security policy. Plus all the Linux, Apple, & Windows admin you can put in between. You get a lot of small bites of a lot areas in IT. Then bigger tastes of larger areas (like storage and Linux admin in my case).

There is some down time when things are implemented correctly and all is running smooth, but that makes time for finding better ways to implement the technology in place now. I'm in a small HA environment (<50 employees) and on call 24/7.

I've been in IT for about 8 years.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Not exactly a one man band but it's just me and a systems engineer and he deals mostly with talking to the vendors and making orders. We have weeks where it gets crazy and I have to juggle so many things at once. But, for the most part there's a lot of downtime which I use to study for the CCNP.

I've been in this role and in IT for a year now.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One man band here. One regional office, 13 full time, and 8 part time offices. Everything from hardware/software, phones, printers, internet, you name it.