Options

Anyone plan on going to VMworld?

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I decided it was worth going to vmworld even though I have to pay out of pocket for the expense. I'm hoping the knowledge and the networking will be worth the price tag.

Anyone else going to the event?
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    I'd love to go to the SFO one, but need to convince my employer. Might be tough with all the other work I need to do. icon_silent.gif
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    How much is the SF one? (I don't know why I have to create an account to find out such information.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You can find pricing on the FAQ page: VMworld.com: FAQs

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went last year for the first time, and it is worth going to, I'd suggest register for your sessions ASAP, they will fill up really fast, also go to as many sessions put on by the big name folks as you can, Jason nash, duncan epping, gregg shields, etc. These guys give the best sessions, VMworld is top notch, but.... there were a few sessions that just weren't good, a few examples were presenters with very extreme accents, who spoke monotone.

Also, spend as much time in the labs as possible, its definatley in the top two things to do at vmworld. The soulutions exchange is great also. Really wish I was going this year, but I opted for CCNA training.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would like to go but it's too "expensive" for someone in the Eastern zone to go there.
    Usually, a few weeks after the event, the local VMware team will hold an event talking about what they've seen at the VMworld.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I may be able to go. It is expensive if you're on the East coast, but it's still cheaper than a 5 day class, and if you've pretty much taken some version of all the relevant 5-day classes in your line of work, you could argue that the VMworld experience is much more worthwhile than an upgraded version of a class you have already taken. At least, that's going to be my argument... :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I'll make a mental note to look out for this in 2013. I'll have my View solution up and running for a while by then and maybe reached some kind of padawan status in VMware. ;) In the short term, I got my View project approved today and have at least been pre-approved today to pursue an official training course sometime in the next few months.
  • Options
    The hotel preferred rate is over US$200 per night. That's "expensive". It's cheaper to go to a conference held in Las Vegas.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I will be pushing for next year. I just started at this place and I doubt they'll be willing to let me so quickly. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    My company has a thing against sending people to Vegas or Orlando because they are paranoid we will play and not work... So San Fran may be my best shot at a good conference
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    blargoe wrote: »
    My company has a thing against sending people to Vegas or Orlando because they are paranoid we will play and not work... So San Fran may be my best shot at a good conference

As someone who used to live near SF for 8 years and frequently visited Vegas I can assure you that you can goof off just as well at SF. icon_wink.gif
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    As someone who used to live near SF for 8 years and frequently visited Vegas I can assure you that you can goof off just as well at SF. icon_wink.gif
    Yup, my brother lives in the vicinity, so I'm aware. I won't tell my pointy-headed boss though... ssshhhhh...
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    dave330i wrote: »

Any suggestions for a hotel or area where to book one for under $200 a night ? Whatever i found so far are either waaayyyyy to far from the center or in an area where you dont go during the day, even if they paid you to - that is according to tripadvisor.com.
  • Options
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    I went last year for the first time, and it is worth going to, I'd suggest register for your sessions ASAP, they will fill up really fast, also go to as many sessions put on by the big name folks as you can, Jason nash, duncan epping, gregg shields, etc. These guys give the best sessions, VMworld is top notch, but.... there were a few sessions that just weren't good, a few examples were presenters with very extreme accents, who spoke monotone.

Also, spend as much time in the labs as possible, its definatley in the top two things to do at vmworld. The soulutions exchange is great also. Really wish I was going this year, but I opted for CCNA training.

Sessions are not up yet ;(
  • Options
    After learning another employee is trying to go, I will now give it a shot. He's been to it before and is well versed in VMware. The $400 govt discount isn't much when you look at those hotel costs mentioned earlier. :\
  • Options
    Locked in a hotel room (heard they were mostly filled up in the area). Boss sent up paperwork for higher approval. :)
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I lucked out and the brass asked if I wanted to go, anyone know if its true they are launching a 24/7 internet accesible lab environment this year?
  • Options
    First timer. Just want to absorb knowledge, network and bring home lots of swag. ;)
  • Options
    My hotel plans fell through (a friend was going to split it). Ended up getting a super 8. 140 bucks a night wow! I hope its worth all the time and money spent.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    How far? Mine is 179 and like 2-3 blocks. Wasnt on the site's hotel list, but was much cheaper than anything on there.
  • Options
    It it .6 miles from the center. Its close enough for me to walk it or catch the bus.
  • Options
    I won't be able to go this year. Our other infrastructure guy got booked for training that took precedence because it is a new business critical system that has been fast-tracked. Maybe next year.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    It it .6 miles from the center. Its close enough for me to walk it or catch the bus.

Careful. The area apparently has a lot of homeless people and drug dealers that will spot you from across/down the street and follow you. Have read that in many reviews of my hotel and a Californian friend of mine has told me the same thing. Just be safe. ;)
  • Options
    Yeah I read parts about that as well. My boss said he hasn't had any problems in that area at night. I figured I can always get a cab at night. After a long day of sessions and nights with the partys, a cab is a smart idea.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'll be attending VMWorld this year also. If anyone from here wants to meet up, PM me and we can sort out the details. Looking forward to it, as it will be my first conference and I've taken a headfirst dive into ESXi over the past year!
  • Options
    Tickets purchased, hotel booked, shoes shined :)) First conference here as well. We could have our own Techexams party at @Vmworld as well :)
    /usr wrote: »
    I'll be attending VMWorld this year also. If anyone from here wants to meet up, PM me and we can sort out the details. Looking forward to it, as it will be my first conference and I've taken a headfirst dive into ESXi over the past year!
  • Options
    Just registered/paid. Working on flights now.
  • Options
    If you can't make it to VMworld, you can sign-up for VMware NOW and watch a live stream of the VMworld keynotes:

Can't make it to VMworld this year? Sign-up for VMware NOW - Eric Sloof - NTPRO.NL
  • Options
    JBrown wrote: »
    Tickets purchased, hotel booked, shoes shined :)) First conference here as well. We could have our own Techexams party at @Vmworld as well :)

Just what I need, another party. LOL. I have to use an excel spreadsheet for all the RSVP I've already done. If you have a EMC vendor, make sure you get an invite to their party.
  • Options
    I could not RSVP any party - apparently people register 2-3 month before and all the parties already sold out. How do you get invited to EMC party?

Just what I need, another party. LOL. I have to use an excel spreadsheet for all the RSVP I've already done. If you have a EMC vendor, make sure you get an invite to their party.