Options

Will this work for a "CCNA" Home Lab to study?

Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently studying for my CCENT, but I do plan on using a Home Lab when I study for my CCNA. Will the following suffice for a home lab? I have a friend of a friend who has these items for sale. Also, what do you think is a fair offer to make for these items?

Cisco 2511 access router with octal cable
Cisco 2503
Two Cisco 2513 routers
Sonicwall SOHO3 firewall.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No I wouldn't think that would be anywhere near enough. The Sonicwall is completely unrelated and won't be of any direct help. The routers are pretty old, but I guess you could learn your way around the CLI and basic routing with them. You would need switches as well.

Do a search through the forums and you will find all of the information you need. There have been plenty of threads explaining lab requirements.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thank you, that is what I was planning on doing before I purchase a lab. This just sort of presented itself unexpectedly, so I wanted to do a quick check :)
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    nope, i suggest you to use packet tracer instead of these equipments. if a home lab is essential to go with
    • Cisco 2600XM Series ---- > routers
    • Catalyst C2900/3500 Series ---- > switches
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest against a simulator unless its your last resort. There is something to be said for the the experience of getting actual routers up and running. As the saying goes, nothing like the real thing. The cost can be prohibitive to some though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    The 2511 with the octal cable would be good for a console server if you could get it for a great price. As others mentioned, everything else is pretty much not good. Being that you can get a Digi CM 32 for $60 I would have to say that a great priced on the 2511 would be <= $50. (although they go for a lot more on EBay)
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Pick up a couple 2950's cheap on ebay; if you can get a good price on somethign like a 2621XM great. Use GNS for everything else.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If his goal is simply CCNA then a simulator is fine. However if his goals are a bit lofty then he should invest in 26XXXM routers or higher. Catalyst 2950s are fine, but won't serve him well for CCNP. If you know you're going to pursue CCNP then I'd recommend the CM32, 2X 3550, 1X 2950 and three 2621XM.

But if it's just CCNA you're after, get ahold of packet tracer and practice the missing router commands on GNS3.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    But if it's just CCNA you're after, get ahold of packet tracer and practice the missing router commands on GNS3.

proper setup to execute the SWITCH lab manuals you will need 2x3550/60s and 2x2950/60s. it's when he goes for CCIE that the Cat29xx become useless.

for ccna... GNS3 and packetracer combo can get him along.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    proper setup to execute the SWITCH lab manuals you will need 2x3550/60s and 2x2950/60s. it's when he goes for CCIE that the Cat29xx become useless.

for ccna... GNS3 and packetracer combo can get him along.

That's true. I forgot you needed two layer 2 and two layer 3 switches. But he hasn't responded on what his goal is. But it could add up if he keeps moving up and has to replace equipment.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am looking to get my CCNA before the end of September myself, so I have been doing quite a bit of googling to find a good lab setup for home. I know the articles were written last summer, but here is a series of articles from Wendell Odom, the Cisco Press guy, about setting up a home lab. I have been following it, and so far I have 2 1760 Series Routers, a rack mount power supply and a lab rack, and I am into it for less than $125. Next up on the list is a couple of the 2950 enhanced series switches and I will be set for the CCNA at the very least. I figure once I get that, and start making a bit more bank, I can start purchasing higher end stuff for my CCNP, and eventually my CCIE.
  • Options
    That's true. I forgot you needed two layer 2 and two layer 3 switches. But he hasn't responded on what his goal is. But it could add up if he keeps moving up and has to replace equipment.

Sorry guys, I haven't been on the board, and I didn't know this thread was still going. I am currently studying for the CCENT, and I am planning on using the lab for my CCNA study. I still have to pass the CCENT, so I am in no rush to purchase.

Thank you all for your help.
  • Options
    luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    Where did you leave the switches compadre ?