Options

What would you do?

MusicITMusicIT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Need everyone's opinion. I am interviewing with a company for a new position next week and the salary for the position is about 25% higher than what I am making now. My issue I have is my company I work for now has a contract for a new position that they would like for me to fill at around 20% higher pay. Which one would you take?

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Depends on what both positions are and what you want to do eventually in your career. With your long term goals in mind, ask yourself which job title is going to give your career the best boost and has the best growth potential
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One is an "interview" the other is your current employer that "wants you for the position".

I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself and explore both but know that one is just an interview.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would stick with current company, a promotion with 20% more pay beats the possibility of having no job if you are not successful in new job interview, and is a far better bet. Staying with current company also offers some secuirty and may lead to further promotion with another possible pay increase. Easy maths really, but you did not provide to much detail. Either way, that's what I would do.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    One is an "interview" the other is your current employer that "wants you for the position".

I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself and explore both but know that one is just an interview.

This is what I would do. I wouldn't turn down the position with the current company unless you have a hard offer in front of you. Either way though I'd pick which ever one interests you more.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you happy with your current company? Do you know who you'd be reporting to in the new position, and do you respect/get along with that person? Is the new position something you'd be interested in doing?

Those are all questions I would ask myself were I in your shoes. It's not always about the money, in fact once you reach a certain point it rarely is about money.
  • Options
    MusicITMusicIT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK here is an update:
    The current job: The contract ended so no job
    Interview with the new company and hired in at 33% higher salary
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nice bump. Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.